Garage wall covering (over concrete)

Hi All,

My garage has a concrete floor, and concrete walls up about 4 feet, all the way around. The original owner had the concrete walls covered in skim-coat plaster. About 5 years ago, I painted the garage floor with epoxy paint (the good xylene-based stuff, works great!).... This painting has made the floor watertight, but now moisture in the walls is bleeding through the skim-coat plaster, causing it to flake off the concrete walls. This appears to be a direct consequence of painting the floor (?) I am looking for something to cover the walls with, to prevent the flaking. I could scrape all the plaster off and tile it, but that is a lot of work..... any suggestions? I could use something like hardibacker or such.....

Reply to
no1herenow

Is the garage below grade?

Reply to
Art

Reply to
no1herenow

Reply to
no1herenow

you cant completely prevent water migration, reslope outside grade away from home, make sure gutters and downspouts direct water far away from building then install inside sump pump perimeter drain system.

Reply to
hallerb

Any particular reason why you can't scrape off the plaster, and then just run the epoxy coating right up the wall?

Reply to
Goedjn

A couple walls in my garage are similar - concrete part way up. (No moisture problem, though.) I furred the walls - Liquid Nailed wood to the concrete - you may have to use concrete anchors due to the moisture. Sealed pegboard and painted with nice industrial white oil base paint. Pegboarded the walls floor to ceiling. Looks pretty nice and have a million places to hang things. I'd think the pegboard holes would let the moisture escape and hide the flaking walls. Steve Noll | The Glass Block Pond |

Steve Noll

I am thinking veneer brick or something similar... let's see what cool tools I can buy to have fun here,,,, ;-)

Reply to
no1herenow