Garage Rooftop Exhaust Fan

I do hope my asking a question here is not unwelcome. I read here often, f inding the folks about very helpful in any home repair discussion I may nee d to learn about. My home is in the California High Desert where the daily temps last week were over 115-degrees, down to under 100 this past week. During the hotter week there was a one minute area-wide power outage during which my well over 10 years old HP printer (that is on 24/7)fried and the heating element in my gas range went out as well. Replacing the printer wa s timely and no problem. Replacing the oven heat element was same day done and cost me just for the actual part an appliance repair friend happened t o have on hand.

My question today concerns the problem that just a few days ago I noticed t hat my garage exhaust fan is also non-op. I used to have a very effective non-electric (free to run) exhaust fan up there, but a brother type local I 'd called for another problem took it upon himself to install an electric e xhaust with a timer on it. (Granted, it's not at all expensive to run, but why replace free?) Another sometimes fix-it friend came by to see about th e exhaust fan and initially discovered that there is a dead fuse needing to be replaced in the whole house fuse box that is outside the garage, and th at exhaust fan is directly wired to the fuse box. Yet another appliance re pair friend (that is a small business, high-charging perfectionist always w ell worth his thorough work and pay) will be here on Tuesday morning to see to this exhaust problem. I am anxious to know now, may the problem merely be the blown fuse? Or is it likely that the entire exhaust unit will have to be replaced? Thank you so for any replies from this informative and al ways helpful group! JeanineAlyse

Reply to
PickyJAZ

No, very welcome

[...]

May be just a fuse, but considering you lost the printer and a range element, other thing have happened. Over and under voltage can kill a motor. It may well be the fuse, but if the motor received a high voltage spike or ran for a long time at too low a voltage, the motor may be damaged.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Because non-electric don't exhaust much. Although if it's just a garage not much might be enough.

Sure.

No. When my rooftop exhaust fan fails, it's the motor that goes (what else could?) , and I replace only the motor. The first time I ordered one from the fan company, but after that I just went to Electric Motor Repair. Most cities of any size have a place that sells and repairs motors.

My motor life expectancy varies an awful lot. The first one 9 years, the second 3, the next ?? maybe 6, and this one 12 years so far.

It doesn't require going on the roof, either. I can just stand in the attic and replace it. I do things like that just before dawn when around here it's no more than 70 degrees out.

It's a little tricky taking off the fan blade, loosening three bracket screws and doing some twists to get the motor and then the blade out of there, and then putting the new one in, but it's certainly easier than replacing the entire unit.

I used to require two trips to the attic, one to get the motor and one to replace it. But last time I saved the bad motor, so I just have to take it to the store and get another one.

Reply to
micky

On Sunday, July 7, 2013 4:36:51 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

[...]

I would try a new fuse before worrying about anything else. If it runs, ev erything is fine, if it does not run, then you need to check that the timer is set correctly. If it still does not run, then you need to check that th e voltage at the fan is present when the fuse is plugged in. If the voltag e is there, and the timer is set so that the fan should run, then it is mos t likely the fan itself.

Reply to
hrhofmann

[...]

check out

for tips and tricks from a reliable company from california

Reply to
solesorry