Garage perimiter with 4" block?

Building a 24X28 garage. Any reason that I have to use 8x8x16 concrete block for the base (2 courses) instead of 4x8x16 block? Since I am framing with 2x4, seems that using 4" block wouldn't be an issue? But I am a novice.
Thanks.
btw, I am talking about 4" wide block that is 8" high and 16" long.
btw, I am talking about 4" wide block that is 8" high and 16" long.
Sure - lay the 4" block so that it is 4" high and 8" wide - you'll just use twice as many!
Harry K, you'll be happy to know that I talked to the building inspector and told him I was going to use 8" block...
I would like to thank everyone for their posts. It's good to hear consistent information.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Just a bit more add on. Someone else suggested hiring the job out. I agree if you have never layed block before. It is a tiring, frustrating job for an amatuer and very difficult to do well the first time (or even the 5th or 6th in my case).
The first layer of block -should- be locked to the slab in some fashion, pinned with rebar is the usual every so many blocks (building dept again). Then every so many cores must be filled. Again building department. That is all to ensure the kneewall, slab, and garage remain connected.
I can't tell what your expertise is in building so if you have done it, just ignore this post.
Harry K

Where I live stem wall are a minimum of 8 inches wide.
What does the building department in your area say?
Lots of things to consider, height, use, are you planning on hoisting anything from the structure? frost or water tables.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

When you started the other thread I was going to suggest you hire an experienced mason to lay the block. I'll do that now. He'll be done (and you'll be ready to start framing) long before you would get the first course done on one side satisfactorily.
Masonry is one of those skills that looks really easy when you see someone else do it (unless you just have a knack for it). But if you want to try it, more power to you...
The 4" block do not provide enough 'footing' to prevent the block from rotating (tip over) which can theoretically occur when the walls of the garage are subjected to heavy loads (wind, snow, soil) causing the walls to bow inwards (diaphragm).
<%= Clinton Gallagher METROmilwaukee (sm) "A Regional Information Service" NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://metromilwaukee.com / URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com /

clintonG wrote:

Use whatever the building department says, I suspect it will be 8". If you have never layed block before, you will find 8" enough of a problem to lay well, 4" forget it, you'll never do it and make it look right.
Harry K

This combined with the other threads CLEARLY indicates you're not grasping the legal requirements of the building code. Check with your county offices before you put up a structure that will fall down and KILL SOMEONE. Honestly, it's one thing to half-ass a shed or other small storage shelter. It's another thing entirely to put up something large enough to hold not only cars or equipment but people too. Just do it the right way and stop screwing around.
lighten up dude. I am asking questions...that is how you learn.
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com wrote:

Correct but the other part is applying what you are told. Have you checked with the building department?
Harry K