Garage opener light bulbs a waste of money!

Page 1 of 2
I've had a heck of a time with regular light bulbs in my Sears 1/2 hp opener. They only seem to last for about two months. So, I went out and bought some special bulbs specifically for a garage door opener at Lowes. They are supposed to be vibration resistant (read more expensive). I figure this will fix the problem. Not! About two months and poof! I'm trying bulbs made for a ceiling fan next. Any other suggestions? Thanks. The Wobulator
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
Look in the yellow pages under light bulbs. A dedicated light bulb supplier will have a better quality bulb. You might also try a screw in flouresent bulb as they have no filiment to break.
Craig in AZ
www.azcraig.us

I've never broke one to check, but I think fluorescents do have a small filament to heat the gas so it will start. That's why four foot tubes get a dark band on the end -- the filament is giving up tungsten which condenses inside the tube.
--
Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

Why didn't you go to Sears for the rough service bulbs? They're still fairly cheap for them, even after having doubled their prices, and their bulbs have more filament supports than most such bulbs.
Auto parts stores also sell rough service bulbs, which are used in handheld drop lights.
Maybe your problem isn't vibration but high voltage causing the bulbs to overheat. There are bulbs rated for 130VAC to solve this, and if you can't find the rough service type get an adapter that converts a lightbulb socket into a normal household socket so you can plug in a light fixture hanging a few feet from the opener.

Yes. Purchase a portable light with reflector, and one of those plug-in socket adaptors. Attach the light to the ceiling a couple of feet away from the garage door opener, and plug it into the socket adaptor, which is screwed into the garage door opener's lightbulb socket. Be sure the cord doesn't intefere with the opener. Locate the light where I'll be useful when the door is open or closed.
You could also change the opener bulb to a flourescent energy-saving bulb. Not for the energy savings (It probably won't considering the time it's on) but they don't have filimants to jog loose during normal opener operation...

Snip........................................
Thats a damm Good Idea!!
Great idea! Thanks!
On 19 Dec 2003 13:25:06 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

The Wobulator
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
I put in a CF and it has worked well except when it is real cold and it takes a while to warm up! The extension cord to a "normal" fixture is really a good idea as you can use a larger lamp since it will not be attached to the opener and should light up better! I wish I had thought of that solution!
Wayne

What do you consider "real cold" in this context? -40F or 20F?
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
about 20F they take a while to warm up!

Darn. Here I was thinking you'd found a brand of CF that worked when it was really cold. Starting about now, we consider 20F to be a heat wave ;-)

--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
In my limited experience. Phillips bulbs blow more easily, and GE are sturdier.
Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season
The garage light should have taken care of the usual problems. I use regular 40W (rather then the 60W the fixture is rated for) in my Genie and with two openers total of 4 lamps, I replace about one per year.
I wonder if there could be some other problem. A floating neutral? Higher than rated voltage? Moisture? Bad contacts? Do you have just one lamp? If you have two is it always the same one burning out? Do they seem to go out more often in the winter than the summer?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Hi, Thanks for the help. The opener uses two bulbs and doesn't seem to matter what time of year and both go (although not at the same time). I might try a rough service bulb or a remote lamp as described in an earlier post.
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:59:46 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

The Wobulator
*Please REMOVE the obvious for my correct email address*
Try a rough surface light bulb.
Tom.

That Might Work better. I was looking for rough service bulbs for my trouble light and a hardware sold me a garage door opener bulb, Said it "was the same thing" I bumped the trouble light "ever so gently" POOF it was gone!!
Thanks, Tony D.
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:14:13 GMT, The Wobulator

I put a "rough usage" bulb in mine and have only replaced it once in several years.

I had the same sort of problem. I replaced my bulb socket with a rubber one. I did it because I thought either the old socket was banging against the case of the opener, or I had bad contacts in the old socket. Either way, with the new socket I no longer have the problem. Warning, the new socket did not fit correctly, so I left the lens off and let the rubber socket float in the opening.
Dave

Can you improve the mount on the opener? I use plain bulbs and they last for many years. I put the Stanley opener in about 15 years ago and recall changing the bulbs once in that time.
The idea of a remote mounted light is a good one also. Ed