garage insulation

It should help a little, but remember that the concrete floor is a huge uninsulated heat sink. For well insulated garages, you put down a layer of rigid foam before pouring the concrete floor to provide a thermal break between the floor and the ground outside. But of course you probably can't just lift up your floor, stuff some insulation underneath, and set it back down. ;-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Quick question....

Have about 18" of concrete foundation in my garage above the floor level (& above grade). The walls are finished and partially insulated. I would like to insulate the concrete & was planning to cover the it with vapour barrier, frame up a 2x2 "wall" extended down from the already finished walls to just above the floor. The cavities would be filled with solid styrofoam insulation, caulked, and the gap between the floor and the 2x2's filled with expanding foam. Drywall or concrete wall over this.

Good plan or not?

I use the garage to work in and during the winter can see frost forming on the concrete part of the walls nearest the door which faces north. No moisture penetration from outside, seems to just be moisture from inside condensing on the concrete & freezing.

TIA

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Yes, good idea. Drywall over top is all you need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanx for the reassurance.

Just trying to make the best of the situation.

Ray

Reply to
Ray