Garage hose bib causes water in basement

My wife and I are buying a new home and closing tomorrow. When the hose bib that is installed in the garage is turned on (with no hose attached) it sprays water onto the wall where the hose bib is, down onto the sill plate and it works its way either between the sill plate and the foundation, or between the sill plate and the drywall. In either event, the result is water leaking down the basement wall onto the basement floor. The builder said that is normal, and just not to use the hose bib without a hose attached. Can that really be true?

If he won't fix it, I figure it's an easy fix for me, with just some caulk between the drywall and sill plate, or between the sill plate and foundation. Or do you think it would be better to put some sort of flashing up to keep water from penetrating altogether? Other ideas in this instance? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Matt

I can't see it from here, but I can picture something where it might be true.

If you think you will ever use the bib with no hose attached option 1 or 2 depending on how often you think you will do it.

I could be bad and say just use a hose but I won't.

Reply to
Colbyt

Place a photo online and then post a link here.

Reply to
Oren

------------------- some epoxy paint on the areas that get wet! paul (in the epoxy business)

Reply to
Paul Oman

Some reas "Place a photo online and then post a link here."

Reply to
Oren

Do you really think this is the only goof the builder has made? The lack of proper flashing in this area is fair warning that there probably are more serious code violations you have yet to discover. Methinks you need to watch a few episodes of "Holmes on Homes" and be much more critical about what you spend your hard earned $$ on. If this were my choice, I would axe the deal summarily and look for something built with integrity. Good luck, Matt, you have my deepest sympathy.

Joe

.
Reply to
Joe

If you really think that it is the only problem then at the closing bring it up as an unresolved issue and request that an amount of money be placed in escrow to assure that the work problem is fixed satisfactorily. Pick an amount of few hundred dollars with the explanation if it is not done within so many days you will hire somebody else to do the job and will pay for it by the escrowed funds. If there is a mortgage lender involved he will most likely be on your side.

Reply to
Charlie

Is this inside or outside the garage? If it is outside, the water should not have a route into the house, or the rain will too. Sounds like a problem. If it is inside, where would you expect the water to go?

Reply to
Bob F

"Matt" wrote

The typical hose bib does splash quite a bit. They are easily tamed with a short hose or an aerator. Not seeing yours, it may be worse than average though.

I'd be more concerned about the fact that water gets through from the garage. Can I assume this is inside, not outside? Put some caulk on the seam.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Who says this is a goof, code violation or a lack of integrity? I don't know of any code requirement that says that the interface between the floor or wall inside a garage and the foundation must be waterproof. It's common to see hose bibs located inside a garage, but that doesn't mean they are meant to be used without either a hose or a bucket to contain the water. If you let water pour out on the floor, what do you expect? As for axing the deal, good luck doing that on this silly premise.

Reply to
trader4

Hi, Something is wrong. My garage has bib and also yard sprinkler connection. I even wash garage floor using power washer, etc. Finished basement has nothing to do with water on the garage floor.

Reply to
Tony Hwang