Garage heater kit for fridge?

Page 2 of 2

On 27 Sep 2008 04:46:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu

If your fridge/freezer is such a POS that it is too stupid to run the compressor when the freezer is too warm, then you ought to either replace it or get a separate freezer.
On Sat 27 Sep 2008 01:46:53a, told us...

Maybe you should have bought the Frigidaire. Problem solved.

How cold do you plan on keeping the kitchen? Most refrigerators perform perfectly well down to around 60F. Unless you're always dressed for winter, anything lower could hardly be considered comfortable. I must say, a refrigerator encased in 2" foamboard sounds really "attractive". Not! Why on earth would you really want to do this? I don't think you'll be saving a thing and you need a different project. :-)
--
Wayne Boatwright

I kept it 36 F one year.
Nick
On Sat 27 Sep 2008 05:18:08p, told us...

That's beyond my comprehension.
At that temperature, you don't even need a refrigerator, just a freezer.
--
Wayne Boatwright

It's easy to do with the kitchen off the back of my house. With 2' stone walls (C ~ 50 Btu/F-ft^2) inside R10 insulation and RC = 500 hours, the kitchen temp changes slowly.
Starting at 36 F, it would cool to 30+(36-30)e^-(24h/500h) = 35.7 over an average 30 F January day. Leaving the kitchen door to the rest of the house open for a few minutes a day makes up for that cooling.

Right, but then spring happens. Maybe the freezer needs a thermostat that turns on a 15 watt bulb in the fridge box when the freezer temp rises to 10 F. Where can I find one of those?
Nick

Aha. Danfoss 015-0283, for $23.95...
http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/controls/015-0283r.htm
Nick
On Sun 28 Sep 2008 01:22:57a, told us...

Being able to do it is not beyond my comprehension. Why anyone would really want to do it is beyond my comprehension. I want every room in my house to be at a comfortable temperature at all times. I would find it inconvenient and uncomfortable to have to wait for it to warm up enough for the kitchen to be useful.
You are not saving siginficant energy, since to be able to use the kitchen you're robbing other parts of the house of its heat which has to be compensated for each time you do it.

Well, yes, spring happens. As to where to find what you're looking for, I have no idea.
--
Wayne Boatwright

With the door to the rest of the house closed, it would cool from 36 to 32 in -500ln((32-30)/(36-30)) = 549 hours, ie 23 days.

Pity.
Au contraire, the fridge uses less energy in a cool room, and the room itself needs less heat if it's cooler on average.

Danfoss sells $24 freezer stats...
Nick