Garage Floor Prep for Epoxy

Currently garage floor is painted probably with an oil base paint and the adhesion is poor with the paint being very worn in spots.
Does anyone have first hand experience with a successful surface preparation for a previously painted garage floor prior to recoating with a garage floor epoxy?
dryearwood(nospamplse)" <"dryearwood(nospamplse) wrote:

I did not have that problem, but I doubt if anything short of total removal of the old paint is going to work. Chemical or physical removal should work.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
New stuff cannot hold any better than old. Remove it. Also consider etching floor as suggested by instructions for epoxy.
message

Remove old finish by sanding or stripper. Rent a floor buffer -cleaner, clean till clean with plenty of strong cleaners. Then acid wash. If acid doesnt clean-etch because of grease reclean and acid wash. Maybe 2-4 days work or more. Be sure its dry before new finish goes on. Its all on the cans instructions