Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------010605070400080400080307 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
I need to cover about 500' sq. of concrete that's in really good shape, but it's getting stained & nasty looking.
What's the best product to use on this application ?? Epoxy ??
thanx .. .. ..
<<<__ Bb __>>>
--------------010605070400080400080307 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
--------------010605070400080400080307--

If it's a garage floor that cars will drive on, then 2-part epoxy is the way to go. Check the archives of this NG. But if there are oil spots or other stains that would prevent the epoxy from sticking, that needs to be removed first. There is a more complicated prep procedure for 2-part epoxy, but you won't regret it when you are done.
Ken

Yes.
Joe
.net> wrote:

no matter what you use it will age detoriate and require future maintence.
garage floors are meant to be oily till its time to sell, then use epoxy or whatever to dress it up

I've done three residential garage floors now with two part epoxy, properly applied and I can tell you that after 10 years each of those floors looked virtually the same as when the epoxy was applied. And oil wipes up with paper towels.
That said, you need to do the prep properly and you need to use a real industrial two part coating - not the junk they sell in the big box or retail paint stores. If you live in California, you have my condolences. I suspect all they sell there (thanks to CARB) is the water based junk.
I'm partial to Benjamin Moore's industrial line, but there are others.
If you Google Groups on Bob's name and epoxy, you'll see he seems to have something of a crusade against epoxy floors... :)

That's true - although I've done epoxy on new and old concrete with good results. Even with new concrete (30 days or more cure), you are supposed to acid etch with muratic acid to get the best adhesion. Nasty stuff, but that's why prep is 90% of the job.
An alternative to acid etching is shot peening or sand blasting the finish - but they require rental equipment and I've never tried them.
A relative with an older garage floor had a company do a non-epoxy coating that looks very similar to epoxy , but was much thicker. That turned out really well and the thicker coating filled in the cracks completely without any gap or dip afterwards. Not sure how long it will look good - but the company claimed wear & heat resistance (tire lift) similar to epoxy.Took a full day with a crew of 3 or 4 to do a double bay garage. Much faster than the multiple days epoxy takes.

    I guess you have never done it right with the right materials.     Mine is about 15 years old and still looks good. It not only looks better without all those oil stains that usually even up covering a garage floor but it is a lot easier to clean up. Of course some people like greasy smelly garage floors ..... I guess. :-)

HC oil stain lasted me 10 yrs no wear, it wont peel, but it has to be cleaned, and that means like new and acid washed.
"<<<__ Bb __>>>" wrote:

You can also get rubberized floor coverings, much like the bed liners for pickups.
I don't mean a paint-type product. Here are some examples:
http://www.bltllc.com/blt_main.htm
Google "garage floor covering" for several thousand more.
I need to cover about 500' sq. of concrete that's in really good shape, but it's getting stained & nasty looking.
What's the best product to use on this application ?? Epoxy ??
thanx .. .. ..
One option that is quick and cheap although not a forever kind of solution is to lay down some vinyl flooringover the concrete. Until it wears through, you have a nice shiny floor that you can wipe the oil drips up real easy.
--
Roger Shoaf
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:32:20 -0400, "<<<__ Bb __>>>"

    Two part epoxy. Don't get the cheap stuff. Some of the newer one part stiff is not too bad, but if you are going to do all the trouble, I suggest not cheeping out on the materials.
    The real trick is not what you use, but how well you prepare the floor before putting it on. Don't skimp at all with the prep work.
<<<__ Bb __>>> wrote:

certainly epoxy if only for the 'primer' coat. Could be a 1-7 coat system depending upon what you are looking for. Also could be a sovlent based, water based or solvent free epoxy.... Add the multi coats, decorative chips, urethane clear coats, etc. and you have several hundred ways to go..... FYI/disclaimer : I' m in the epoxy business. Sort of an intro to epoxy floors at www.epoxyproducts.com/floorcoatings4u.html. ---- paul