Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread
--------------010605070400080400080307

I need to cover about 500' sq. of concrete that's in really good shape,
but it's getting stained & nasty looking.

What's the best product to use on this application ??   Epoxy ??

thanx .. .. ..

        <<<__ B?b __>>>

--------------010605070400080400080307

<head>
</head>
about 500' sq. of concrete that's in really good shape, but it's
getting stained &amp; nasty looking.<br>
What's the best product to use on this application ??&nbsp;&nbsp; Epoxy ??<br>
thanx .. .. .. <br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;&lt;&lt;__ B&oslash;b
__&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>

--------------010605070400080400080307--

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
If it's a garage floor that cars will drive on, then 2-part epoxy is
the way to go.  Check the archives of this NG.  But if there are oil
spots or other stains that would prevent the epoxy from sticking, that
needs to be removed first.  There is a more complicated prep procedure
for 2-part epoxy, but you won't regret it when you are done.

Ken

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
Yes.

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
no matter what you use it will age detoriate and require future
maintence.

garage floors are meant to be oily till its time to sell, then use
epoxy or whatever to dress it up

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

I've done three residential garage floors now with two part epoxy, properly
applied and I can tell you that after 10 years each of those floors looked
virtually the same as when the epoxy was applied. And oil wipes up with paper
towels.

That said, you need to do the prep properly and you need to use a real
industrial two part coating - not the junk they sell in the big box or retail
paint stores. If you live in California, you have my condolences. I suspect all
they sell there (thanks to CARB) is the water based junk.

I'm partial to Benjamin Moore's industrial line, but there are others.

If you Google Groups on Bob's name and epoxy, you'll see he seems to have
something of a crusade against epoxy floors... :)

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

That's true - although I've done epoxy on new and old concrete with good
results. Even with new concrete (30 days or more cure), you are supposed to acid
etch with muratic acid to get the best adhesion. Nasty stuff, but that's why
prep is 90% of the job.

An alternative to acid etching is shot peening or sand blasting the finish - but
they require rental equipment and I've never tried them.

A relative with an older garage floor had a company do a non-epoxy coating that
looks very similar to epoxy , but was much thicker. That turned out really well
and the thicker coating filled in the cracks completely without any gap or dip
afterwards. Not sure how long it will look good - but the company claimed wear &
heat resistance (tire lift) similar to epoxy.Took a full day with a crew of 3 or
4 to do a double bay garage. Much faster than the multiple days epoxy takes.

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

    I guess you have never done it right with the right materials.
    Mine is about 15 years old and still looks good.  It not only
looks better without all those oil stains that usually even up
covering a garage floor but it is a lot easier to clean up.  Of course
some people like greasy smelly garage floors .....   I guess. :-)

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
HC oil stain lasted me 10 yrs no wear, it wont peel, but it has to be
cleaned, and that means like new and acid washed.

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
You can also get rubberized floor coverings, much like the bed liners for
pickups.

I don't mean a paint-type product. Here are some examples:

http://www.bltllc.com/blt_main.htm

Google "garage floor covering" for several thousand more.

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??

I need to cover about 500' sq. of concrete that's in really good shape, but
it's getting stained & nasty looking.

What's the best product to use on this application ??   Epoxy ??

thanx .. .. ..

        <<<__ B?b __>>>

One option that is quick and cheap although not a forever kind of solution
is to lay down some vinyl flooringover the concrete.  Until it wears
through, you have a nice shiny floor that you can wipe the oil drips up real
easy.

--
Roger Shoaf

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:32:20 -0400, "<<<__ B?b __>>>"

    Two part epoxy.   Don't get the cheap stuff.  Some of the
newer one part stiff is not too bad, but if you are going to do all
the trouble, I suggest not cheeping out on the materials.

    The real trick is not what you use, but how well you prepare
the floor before putting it on.  Don't skimp at all with the prep
work.

Re: Garage Floor Paint/Coating - what's best ??
certainly epoxy if only for the 'primer' coat. Could be a 1-7 coat
system depending upon what you are looking for. Also could be a sovlent
based, water based or solvent free epoxy....   Add the multi coats,
decorative chips, urethane clear coats, etc. and you have several
hundred ways to go.....    FYI/disclaimer :  I' m in the epoxy
business.  Sort of an intro to epoxy floors at
www.epoxyproducts.com/floorcoatings4u.html.   ----  paul

Threaded View
Click Here To Start a New Thread

Site Timeline