garage floor paint

My garage floor looks so bad, when the dog takes a dump in there, I have to look for it. I want to take a wire wheel and a chisel and take down some blobs of paint and concrete spatter that the genius who built the house left.
I then want to paint it. I know there are epoxies and stuff with sprinkles. Looks great. I've seen some floors with that. Is there a cheaper alternative?
Steve

theres a rubber roll out mat. although sorry i dont have a link

The rubber mats are sold in pieces that interlock. You buy as many as you need. It is supposedly oil/gas resistant. But it is not a solid surface and if the dog continues to use the garage you will have a real mess to take it apart and clean up and then put back together. The spoxy with sprinkles looks like a good solution, I don't know how it stands up to the salt/snow/ice crap we get here in the Chicago cuburbs.
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:39:59 -0800 (PST), "hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net"

I thought about the garage "tiles", but decided that it would be too hard to keep clean. I have the epoxy paint with sprinkles (the builder put it down). I like it. The only drawback I notice with it is that it's a little harder to sweep clean. Sorry, no salt/snow/ice in Alabama - left that crap in Vermont. ;-)

Are you in the hills or the flatlands? We had a lot of Global Warming fall on Birmingham this winter.
TDD
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 19:46:39 -0600, The Daring Dufas

East-central (Auburn/Opelika). They closed the university and my employer closed down on an inch of speculation. It didn't start until well after noon but they announced the closings the previous night. Of course I showed up thinking that they certainly wouldn't close for *nothing*.
I told my wife when we lived in Vermont, I have a 4WD "off-road" truck so I can go anywhere. I can even go off the road.

UH OH! Auburn? *snicker*
TDD
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:21:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas

It's not much more than a wide spot in the road, but it sure beats the People's Republic of Burlington.

"Northern by birth, Southern by the grace of God" Old Alabama Hillbilly saying found written on the wall of a cave by little known ancient ancestral Cavebillies. Damn Yankees come down here, discover how beautiful it is and we can't get them to leave. After they're here a while and learn the language, they go native. It's amusing to explain to a former Yankee that he should wear a shirt with his overalls and that shoes are really a good idea.
TDD
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 23:31:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas

We'll see. It is nice, but Vermont is beautiful. Kentucky is beautiful. Alabama is nice.

I hope not. I didn't learn NE Yankee.

No overalls, always a long-sleevee shirt, and socks with my shoes.

My mother is a naturalized Southerner from Brooklyn,NY. She spent most of her life in The South and says "Yalls Guys". *snicker*
TDD
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 00:03:43 -0600, The Daring Dufas

Too funny!

Well, you're down there in or close to the flatlands so you may be OK.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Key words being 'the builder put it down'. Epoxy works best on very young concrete, like right after the first 30 days of curing with people and oily grime kept off of it. People I know who put it on old concrete, even cleaned with acid, found it fragile, and easily damaged by hot tires, and the squirming action if they turn the wheel while parking or backing out. If I was a rich man, and building a new garage, I'd likely use it, but since that ain't ever gonna happen, push brooms and maybe a pressure washer if it gets really nasty, are my lot.
-- aem sends...

Well, "hot tires" never see it. The Unisaw got first dibs on the garage and the car and truck sleep outside. ;-)

If I were rich, I'd probably go for the garage tiles and have someone else clean them.

I can be done on old concrete, but its a real expensive time consuming job few understand. My old greased up floor with oil leaks for 70 years was a greasy mess, it took about 20 hours and 250$ in chemicals and eqipment in 1985 to prep it, then I stained it with HC concrete stain, its still on today except under tires and foot areas. I rented a buffer, bought about 150$ in acid and cleaner-degreasers, and worked till it was clean, then acid etched it twice - 3 times in some spots until it tested Pourus. Then used HC oil stain. Few understand what necessary prep is, or when concrete is actualy ready, and you need the right temperature of air and concrete to get it to bond and cure fast, thats in the hot days of summer when the ground is warm. Yes new is best by far, far less prep, usualy a quick clean and 1 acid wash. Acid washing is dangerous with Fuming Muriatic, not only is a respirator a must, big fans are needed to move out the fumes to keep you safe. If I had to bid my garage in 1985 its was over 1200.00 for a 2 car garage, and few home owners would pay a bid like that in 85, but its still holding up. To redo it again today, it would be a big job again. Everyone complains paint peels, yes it does, and more so when prep isnt 100% right, I chose stain because it wears away.

A reputable two part epoxy with or without the decorative sprinkles will work fine in the upper midwest. You will want to use some antislip grit as melting snow or water will be unbelievably slippery.
Note - this is not a project you want to do "cheap". Prep is 90% of the job and saving a couple bucks on the material isn't worth it.

Trafficmaster Allure Vinyl Flooring for garages...Nice stuff...Indestructable , even oil , salt , ect...Check Home Depot's website to see what it looks like...HTH...

No. Anything cheaper will not adhere nearly as well nor last as long. Epoxy floor paint has been around for decades, so obviously it meets the price/performance standards for most people. Sprinkles are discarded by many in the final paint. Did so myself. Sand for traction is another non essential.
Joe