Garage floor options

Page 2 of 2

Why not just leave it alone? It's just a garage floor, after all....

Yeah, I SO don't get why people freak out about a garage floor or a spot of grease on the driveway. It's to park CARS on for Jeebus' sake.
Some people take pride in what their house and property looks like.

Reggie Dunlop wrote:

Well, I would never spend money for it, but I'm a cheap SOB, so your (and OP's)mileage may vary. But having said that, I must admit a well-done epoxy floor sure is pretty, and easier to keep clean. From reports on here, and from people in the real world, I get the impression that the success rate on old concrete is mixed at best. How clean is clean enough? If I was a rich man, and building a dream garage, I might be willing to let it sit empty a month for the new concrete to cure enough, and put it down on a virgin surface.
I do see in some recycled storefronts where they stripped the old tile, and applied some sort of clear epoxy, or perhaps urethane, to create a no-upkeep surface. But that is for human and handcart traffic, not hot tires and oil drips- I have no idea how well it would work in a garage.
-- aem sends...

As with any coating, 90% of the effort is in the prep. If you have a seriously oil stained floor, you need to do some serious cleaning, which may of may not include shot blasting the concrete.
At a minimum, you need to acid etch, neutralize and TSP it.

Go for the tile. It's more durable and will look better in the long run.

I had a contractor apply an epoxy finish to my garage concrete floor about three years ago. It is easy to clean and still looks new. I told him I was concerned about the floor being slippery when wet, so it added a small amount of non-slip additive (sand, or very similar) to give it some texture. He applied one coat and had me check to see if it was the texture I wanted. It was -- not enough texture to make it difficult to clean (in fact, it looks smooth and shiny), but enough so that I could feel the non-slip properties when wet. So, he used the same proportions when he applied the second coat. I don't know what proportions he used, but I think that is something you should consider. He used ArmorSeal, and I selected haze gray color. He did prep work first to clean the floor and remove oil stains.
MaryL
On Sep 28, 10:50am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

here's the mfr's info
http://www.rustoleum.com/documents/techdocs/epoxygarage.pdf
I have never used the particular Rustoleum product you are considering.
I have used Rustoleum 9100 Series DTM Industrial Mastic for concrete floors with great success. Garages, shop & laboratory floors.
You can search this group for more info on the product.
On Sep 28, 12:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Epoxy, due to the fact that it will stop the hydrostatic pressue in the slab, rather than having condensation form under a rubber mat on concrete. Tile IMO is overkill and too costly, especially after the first time your kid (or you) spills a can of paint on the floor. You can sift sand onto the wet epoxy for slip control as you paint with a flour sifter, or get/make sanded epoxy. In our area some of the lawn sprinkler companies have added garage floor coating services as a way to fill their off-season work, they look pretty good with acid prep, etc.