Garage floor options

Page 1 of 2

I'm considering epoxy and tile, but can't decide. I've seen some really nice epoxy jobs with clearcoat on top (I'll be doing this work myself by the way, and don't mind doing it "right".) I've also seen some nice tile jobs. I've seen some tile for $8 and up per sq ft, but also seen some that I could live with for less than $2/sq ft. I have a 500 sq ft garage, so that brings it in at around $800. I could also take that with me if I move. The epoxy job would be a little less expensive, but more options with color. The glossy finish really looks nice in photos. The tile might be easier on the feet if spending much time out there, which I will probably do since I'll build workbench area and mini-shop for my projects. Of course I could just put a rubberized mat or something near the workbench area.
Can anyone share some opinions? The amount of time/effort really isn't that big a deal to me since I enjoy doing these things and would put in the extra effort if the result is really what I wanted. Just a question of which I would be happier with.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 28, 1:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Have you considered a rubber floor? I epoxyed mine a long time ago and I am happy with it, If I had to do it over, I think I would consider a rubber floor. More expensive, but less slip.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 28, 12:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Paints need extensive prep on old greasy floors, I used about 50$ in soaps and a floor buffer-scrubber then acid washed it twice, but my HC concrete oil stain never pealed. Tile is extensive also, a commercial job I saw they gouged the floor with a Diamond floor gouger so the thinset adhered. Run a car over tile where the bond is not 100% and it will fail eventualy. So either way you have hundreds to maybe several 1000$ in prep to make it last. I figure my 2 car garage prep would cost today 1000$, I had my paint crew do it, the grease oil was from cars leaking oil for 70 years, it was a mess.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 28, 12:50 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Don't even consider anything other than the epoxy finish of your choice. You can then top it with mats or other amenities. The salient thing about epoxy is that it is actually good for the concrete. Even after years of foot traffic have worn it through, an epoxy finish continues to bond the underlying cement quite well. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Don't even consider tile? Because it's bad for the concrete? Or because epoxy extends the life of the concrete itself so it's inherently better? I'm a little confused about the strength of your statement there....
Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 28, 2:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Statement based on experience with epoxy paint put down on my commercial auto repair shop floor in 1974 (by me and with Sears 2 part of that era). Floors under the lifts held up remarkably well to the normal abuse of a work environment. Some unpainted areas did not fare so well. At present the worn off areas need recoating for appearances. Further, there are commercial firms doing epoxy injection to seal concrete cracks, so we know that the materials have a high level of compatibility. Of course, in the industrial world there are long time successful companies offering concrete improvement treatments, but these are a bit much for an individual. YMMV
Joe
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

paint peels, stain doesnt nor does tile.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, my opinion is that if you spend that kind of money on a garage floor you're nuts.
Epoxy finish over concrete and rubber work mats. I have plain concrete and mats. It's a garage; I work there but I don't live there.
Add pictures here
✖

My point was (that you cut) was that you can get this for less than $2/sq ft, and I'm not intending on spending more than that.

I should have asked for opinions from people who have actually finished their garage floor. It's not a question of "if" I do it, it's just a question of "what" do I do it with.
Add pictures here
✖

If you asked for opinions.. This is not a popularity contest, we don't give or get prizes. You asked for something and got exactly that. You should never fear honesty.
Add pictures here
✖

Perhaps you should check out the Philosophy forums instead.... just my opinion.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Well, I'd iterate the respondent's opinion -- what's the point of throwing money on a garage floor?
✖

What's the point of throwing money on a TV, a car, a kitchen, or any other thing in the world? Because it's desired, that's why. I came here asking for opinions on the best floor for my garage becuase it's what I desire. I didn't come asking for opinions on whether or not I should desire it.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Well, at least two offered opinions it's probably best off as is...
The other items listed at least have _some_ utility.
✖

Nah, while I can get into a good philosophical discussion, I'd rather deal with every day reality. More beneficial to the community.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

I've used a two part industrial epoxy on three garage floors now, and it looks/works great. The first & second garages both are over 10 years old and still have a great, high gloss finish. It takes about 4 gallon sets (1 gallon of part A and one of part B) to do a deep three car garage. Each set costs around $100.
I also know someone who just did a high build (about 1/4 inch) epoxy like finish. It looks great and is supposed to wear well. That cost around $2K for a two car garage (installed).
Add pictures here
✖

I think the epoxy will last better and look better. If you have any oil stains on the floor, you'd want to go a fairly dark color.
Add pictures here
✖

Surely oil stains would be completely removed and the floor etched if needed. Are you saying epoxy is translucent?
Add pictures here
✖

I was reading one of the other folks posts, who had problems getting it up. Really old ground in oil from decades of cars.
Yes, I assume you'd get as much off as possible and then use a dark color incase some remainder bleeds through. I have a feeling tile wont stick right if you plan to still use it as a garage.
Before we bought this house, we looked at several. One had a refinished garage that they'd put terra cotta tile down for a floor. Took 4 years for the oil to leach up, and man that was nasty looking. They covered it of course with a rug and over time, even that would get some of the stain I think. I suspect they didnt try to clean it down very well before the tile job.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh, I see what you mean. Interesting.
Add pictures here