Garage floor options

I'm considering epoxy and tile, but can't decide. I've seen some really nice epoxy jobs with clearcoat on top (I'll be doing this work myself by the way, and don't mind doing it "right".) I've also seen some nice tile jobs. I've seen some tile for $8 and up per sq ft, but also seen some that I could live with for less than $2/sq ft. I have a 500 sq ft garage, so that brings it in at around $800. I could also take that with me if I move. The epoxy job would be a little less expensive, but more options with color. The glossy finish really looks nice in photos. The tile might be easier on the feet if spending much time out there, which I will probably do since I'll build workbench area and mini-shop for my projects. Of course I could just put a rubberized mat or something near the workbench area.

Can anyone share some opinions? The amount of time/effort really isn't that big a deal to me since I enjoy doing these things and would put in the extra effort if the result is really what I wanted. Just a question of which I would be happier with.

Reply to
nospam

Have you considered a rubber floor? I epoxyed mine a long time ago and I am happy with it, If I had to do it over, I think I would consider a rubber floor. More expensive, but less slip.

Reply to
jmeehan

Paints need extensive prep on old greasy floors, I used about 50$ in soaps and a floor buffer-scrubber then acid washed it twice, but my HC concrete oil stain never pealed. Tile is extensive also, a commercial job I saw they gouged the floor with a Diamond floor gouger so the thinset adhered. Run a car over tile where the bond is not 100% and it will fail eventualy. So either way you have hundreds to maybe several

1000$ in prep to make it last. I figure my 2 car garage prep would cost today 1000$, I had my paint crew do it, the grease oil was from cars leaking oil for 70 years, it was a mess.
Reply to
ransley

Don't even consider anything other than the epoxy finish of your choice. You can then top it with mats or other amenities. The salient thing about epoxy is that it is actually good for the concrete. Even after years of foot traffic have worn it through, an epoxy finish continues to bond the underlying cement quite well. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yes, my opinion is that if you spend that kind of money on a garage floor you're nuts.

Epoxy finish over concrete and rubber work mats. I have plain concrete and mats. It's a garage; I work there but I don't live there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My point was (that you cut) was that you can get this for less than $2/sq ft, and I'm not intending on spending more than that.

I should have asked for opinions from people who have actually finished their garage floor. It's not a question of "if" I do it, it's just a question of "what" do I do it with.

Reply to
nospam

Don't even consider tile? Because it's bad for the concrete? Or because epoxy extends the life of the concrete itself so it's inherently better? I'm a little confused about the strength of your statement there....

Reply to
nospam

If you asked for opinions.. This is not a popularity contest, we don't give or get prizes. You asked for something and got exactly that. You should never fear honesty.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote

I think the epoxy will last better and look better. If you have any oil stains on the floor, you'd want to go a fairly dark color.

Reply to
cshenk

Perhaps you should check out the Philosophy forums instead.... just my opinion.

Reply to
nospam

Surely oil stains would be completely removed and the floor etched if needed. Are you saying epoxy is translucent?

Reply to
nospam

Why not just leave it alone? It's just a garage floor, after all....

Reply to
Reggie Dunlop

Yeah, I SO don't get why people freak out about a garage floor or a spot of grease on the driveway. It's to park CARS on for Jeebus' sake.

Statement based on experience with epoxy paint put down on my commercial auto repair shop floor in 1974 (by me and with Sears 2 part of that era). Floors under the lifts held up remarkably well to the normal abuse of a work environment. Some unpainted areas did not fare so well. At present the worn off areas need recoating for appearances. Further, there are commercial firms doing epoxy injection to seal concrete cracks, so we know that the materials have a high level of compatibility. Of course, in the industrial world there are long time successful companies offering concrete improvement treatments, but these are a bit much for an individual. YMMV

Joe

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Some people take pride in what their house and property looks like.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Well, I'd iterate the respondent's opinion -- what's the point of throwing money on a garage floor?

--

Reply to
dpb

I was reading one of the other folks posts, who had problems getting it up. Really old ground in oil from decades of cars.

Yes, I assume you'd get as much off as possible and then use a dark color incase some remainder bleeds through. I have a feeling tile wont stick right if you plan to still use it as a garage.

Before we bought this house, we looked at several. One had a refinished garage that they'd put terra cotta tile down for a floor. Took 4 years for the oil to leach up, and man that was nasty looking. They covered it of course with a rug and over time, even that would get some of the stain I think. I suspect they didnt try to clean it down very well before the tile job.

Reply to
cshenk

Well, I would never spend money for it, but I'm a cheap SOB, so your (and OP's)mileage may vary. But having said that, I must admit a well-done epoxy floor sure is pretty, and easier to keep clean. From reports on here, and from people in the real world, I get the impression that the success rate on old concrete is mixed at best. How clean is clean enough? If I was a rich man, and building a dream garage, I might be willing to let it sit empty a month for the new concrete to cure enough, and put it down on a virgin surface.

I do see in some recycled storefronts where they stripped the old tile, and applied some sort of clear epoxy, or perhaps urethane, to create a no-upkeep surface. But that is for human and handcart traffic, not hot tires and oil drips- I have no idea how well it would work in a garage.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I had a contractor apply an epoxy finish to my garage concrete floor about three years ago. It is easy to clean and still looks new. I told him I was concerned about the floor being slippery when wet, so it added a small amount of non-slip additive (sand, or very similar) to give it some texture. He applied one coat and had me check to see if it was the texture I wanted. It was -- not enough texture to make it difficult to clean (in fact, it looks smooth and shiny), but enough so that I could feel the non-slip properties when wet. So, he used the same proportions when he applied the second coat. I don't know what proportions he used, but I think that is something you should consider. He used ArmorSeal, and I selected haze gray color. He did prep work first to clean the floor and remove oil stains.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Nah, while I can get into a good philosophical discussion, I'd rather deal with every day reality. More beneficial to the community.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski