Garage electric outlets n

Basha:

B > I recently moved into my first house (year built 1993). After a week,

Copngratulations! We'll be seeing a lot from you!

B > I noticed that the electric outlets in the garage not working along B > with one outlet outside just adjacent to garage. I checked all the B > GFCIs. I checked all the circuit breakers. They look ok. I got onto B > the attique and couldn't find where those outlets are feeding from. B > The grage door opener and the light bulbs in garage are working fine. B > They are fed from seperate line. Is there a way that I can B > troubleshoot/find out where these outlets are feeding from? Is there B > anything I can do from my side or is it better to call an electrician?

Not sure if this would work but you could try one of those circuit tracing sets: one part plugs into the outlet (or lamp socket with adapter) and the other part picks up the signal when passed over the circuit breaker. I know that works but don't think you can trace a wire with it. You _might_ be able to use a portable AM radio to trace the wire through the wall, however. (I have used a signal generator [for electronics] and an AM radio.)

It is possible for a circuit breaker to trip and not look like it tripped. Flip the breaker to the OFF position, then back on. (Might be a good time to start a listing of what circuit breakers control what lights/outlets.)

It is also possible for a wire to disconnect, which would cause downstream outlets/devices to not work. The problem could be at the 'output' of an outlet, the 'input' to the outlet, or at a junction box.

Ckt Bkr ==========Outlet1=====Outlet2_=============Outlet3====Outlet4

The break after Outlet2 kills Outlet3 and 4.

Another possiblilty is the outlets are controlled by a switch. I have my electronics workbench wired so when the light is off so are most of the outlets. (There's a couple of slightly-out-of-the-way outlets which are live all the time for battery chargers, etc.) When the light is off so are the outlets: I don't want a soldering iron to be left on accidentally!

  • If you think you can, or can't, you're right!
Reply to
barry martin

Sometimes the garage is fed via a GFCI in another nearby room, like a bathroom or laundy room.

Reply to
Chet Hayes