Garage Doors

Page 2 of 2

There's not a whole lot of difference between the brands.
Look at the construction. You'll find doors that have:
1. A single sheet of steel
2. A single sheet of steel with insulation and a sheet of plastic on the inside.
3. Doors with insulation sandwiched between two sheets of steel. These are more rigid and stronger.
You may find some low cost doors with much thinner metal. And some expensive commerical grade doors with a heavier gauge of steel.
Around here (SF Bay Area) you'll get a better deal and a better job from the smaller local door companies than you will from Home Depot, Lowes.
On Aug 10, 11:33pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

We are looking at doors with 2 sheets of steel and insulation sandwiched between. The prices between the 3 brands are ranging between $1400 - 1750 installed. I do see some difference between the R Value. The Clopay has 6.8, the CHI has 8.5 and the Wayne Dalton has 10.
I know Clopay is a good door. I've always associated Wayne Dalton with cheap doors, maybe because Lowe's sells them. However the Lowe's doors are the low end doors, while the model we looked at is the higher end door. I've never head of CHI until yesterday, but the research we've done does indicates that it is a good door.
This is a lot of money to put into something for the house. We are trying to do all our homework and, of course, get opinions from other homeowners.
We will definitely buy the door and get it installed from a reputable company.
Any opinions from anyone are needed and welcome!
Garagedoors1 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Garage-Doors-388394-.htm :
rogerfisher wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 370374 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Garagedoors1 had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Garage-Doors-388394-.htm : Most manufacturers make both high quality doors as well as lower cost doors so be sure you explore the quality of the materials during your purchase. Things like the steel gauge of face skin and back skin, R value and insulation type or Gauge of hinges. Consider if the manufacturer uses off the shelf components such as C.H.I and Clopay, or if they use proprietary systems like Wayne dalton does... If your Wayne Dalton Door breaks, you will be limited to Wayne Dalton dealers for parts and service... Others have parts that are interchangeable which gives you more choices for service and parts...
Compare prices with an installing dealer before you buy from the home improvement big box stores. You may pay extra to have them in the middle of your purchase. Using a professional installation company makes a huge difference from selecting the right door to having it installed properly. The very best dealers are IDEA accredited. Check out www.dooreducation.com for answers to door questions. Also see another door industry site http://garagewownow.com .
The manufacturer sites are helpful too for making the right design and application choice. You dealer may be able to take a digital picture of your home and place pictures of different doors on it to show you what different designs can do for the curb appeal of your home. Its a neat tool the manufacturers provide their dealers. Like trying on a new pair of shoes before you buy them...
Warranties varies widely among manufacturers too. Your warranty is supported by the dealer AND the manufacturer, the dealer is only as good as the comapny behind them and for that reason I would choose a C.H.I. door and dealer, C.H.I. Overhead Doors delivers high quality products and C.H.I. makes it very easy for your dealer to take care of any warranty issues.
See their web page for video on how to select your next garage door. chiohd.com
Good luck.