Garage Doors

Page 1 of 2
We are looking at 3 different garage doors for our house. This is a replacement.
Clopay - 4050 Series Wayne Dalton - 9600 Series CHI - 2285 Series
What are the pros and cons of each. We want a good, sturdy insulated door with windows. We want one that will qualify for the energy tax credit. We know very little about garage doors and need all the help we can get.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 16:11:41 -0700 (PDT), rogerfisher

Wayne Dalton has been out of business for years. Another door company was bought by Martin Doors. They kept all phone numbers and yellow-page ads.
I suggest you visit Lowe's or HD and look a door samples for Martin Doors. or visit their site.* This door qualifies for a tax credit. A single door cost me $1200.00 (no new rails, windows or opener). The installers at L/HD are the actual company Martin employees that are trained and not some jay-bird off the street.
http://www.martindoor.com /

Correction - I did get "new rails".
Martin rails/tracks are about 4" wide vs standard rails.

Wayne Dalton out of business? They still have a website and a garage door company in our area (very reputable) sells both the Clopay and Wayne Dalton garage doors. Are you saying that Martin bought Wayne Dalton and kept the Wayne Dalton name? I'm not sure that I understand exactly what it is that you are saying.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:18:33 -0700 (PDT), rogerfisher

I'm saying my WD door was no longer available. Calling numbers in yellow pages MIGHT just direct you to another company that was bought by another.
Got a link for WD doors? Where do they make them?

Here's the link. www.wayne-dalton.com It says on the website that they are in Mt. Hope, Ohio.
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:39:07 -0700 (PDT), rogerfisher

Thanks! When I called around for a door, the companies did not carry them and one said they went out of business. Checking the link I see Lowe's sells them. I never looked for them there. I still have a double door by WD.
rogerfisher wrote:

You can get an energy tax credit for a GARAGE door?
How much can I get for insulating the dog house?
The inmates are in charge of the asylum!

http://www.martindoor.com/Portals/0/manuals/Tax-Credit.pdf
New 2009 Stimulus Legislation Expands U.S. Energy Tax Credits

... but they robbed $2 billion from that program to renew the clunker program so you better hurry.
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 18:44:19 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Does that mean they will issue me an IOU?

It is all IOUs ($2 TRILLION so far this year) but they would have to appropriate more IOU money. When they extended the clunkers they couldn't get congress to go along with appropriating more money they don't have so they just robbed it from the already appropriated energy tax credit IOU.
On Aug 11, 6:44pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

If I promise to keep my clunker locked behind the new garage door, can I get the tax credit *and* the $4500?
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 17:23:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Only if you destroy the engine

re: You can get an energy tax credit for a GARAGE door?
Here's a synopsis of the rules, and my expert interpretation of the reason:
Stolen without permission form the EnergyStar website:
*** Begin Included Text ***
Garage doors installed in 2009 or 2010 may be eligible for a tax credit of 30% up to $1,500 provided that the door is installed in or on an insulated garage as a component of the taxpayers principal residence (does not need to be attached), the garage door meets the other requirements of the tax credit (i.e. it has a U-factor<= 0.3 and a SHGC<= 0.3), and the garage door is certified by the manufacturer.
An insulated garage is one where the outside walls are insulated.
Installation costs are NOT covered for garage doors, just the cost of the garage door itself is covered.
ENERGY STAR does not label garage doors.
*** End Included Text ***
My expert interpretation of the reason:
So, why would you insulate a garage?
1 - It's attached an insulated because the owner wants an extra barrier against the weather. (It may or may not be climate controlled.) 2 - It's unattached but climate controlled for reasons only the owner knows.
In either case, a garage door that improves the (1) weather barrier and/or (2) saves energy in the climate controlled cases, should be just as eligible as the entry door or windows of the house itself.
Obviously, giving a tax credit for a door on an uninsulated garage wouldn't make sense.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

In my view, neither would an insulated garage door. Even if an attached garage, what's the R value of 20 feet of dead air? Whatever the insulation on the door might be, it's got to be negligible in comparison.

Unless it's a completed sealed garage, with an air lock system between the house and the garage, I seriously doubt it's dead air.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

If the garage is NOT adequately sealed, then what the hell good is an insulated door?
If the garage IS sealed, insulating the door would be redundant.
I've seen donuts with more brains than some federal regulators.

If the garage is insulated, but not "adequately sealed" between the garage and the house, then an insulated door makes all the sense in the world. The other option is a well sealed door and wall between the house and the garage, which is also eligible for some credit. Granted, getting the credit for _both_ would be ridiculous, unless the garage is climate controlled as a separate space.
For example, let's say the door and wall between my garage and house are not as well insulated as they should be. The wall between the house and garage is finished on both sides, but the other three outer walls of the garage are not. Let's further assume that the garage is not climate controlled as a separate space, but merely through "leakage" from the house. I have 2 options:
1 - Get a new entry door, open the finished wall and insulate it and take whatever credit I get for doing that. 2 - Get an insulated garage door, insulate the 3 open garage walls and take whatever credit I get for doing that.
In either case I've upgraded the envelope, so I should be eligible for the credit.

Unless the space is climate controlled. If the garage is being heated or cooled, then insulating the door would save energy and be worthy of the credit.
Again, think about why a garage would be insulated. Either it's climate controlled as a separate space or quasi-climate controlled because of an inadequate seal to the house. In either case, insulating the door would save energy.

Now, a tax credit for donuts would be nice <g>

[...]

Seeing ALOT of insulated garages heated with a Modine or radiant in floor heat in attached garages now days....Which is good for me as I get to sheetrock and fininsh tape the garage as well as the house...Doesn't look much like a garage though being a finished room with a fancy floor...Gotta keep the Lexus and Landcruiser warm though.....My garage is unfinished even though I could do it easy and CHEAP but then it wouldn't be a garage...I need a place to work in without fearing SWMBO's wrath for making a mess....A few minutes with the push broom and it's done...The garage is mine and the house is hers and if I finish the garage it will become part of the house...LOL...