Garage door trouble

Our garage door goes down but then goes back up again. I know how to adjust the down force and seem to have to do that regularly.
Now even that doesn't seem to help.
One other clue about the door. When it gets about half-way down it is no longer moving smoothly but jerks, jerks, jerks it's way down.
Any suggestions?
engwar wrote:

Lubricate the tracks and traverse bar. Make sure there's nothing else causing the binding.

Like misalignment of the tracks. They can look fine but have slipped, usually "in", IME. -----
- gpsman
on 10/17/2008 10:00 AM engwar said the following:

or missing teeth.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Detach door from opener with the quick release [if you have one] opening and closing should require equal force and not bind, or have the spring adjusted, lube everything with oil, On my opener is force and travel adjustment, 2 seperate adjustments. Springs above the door need a pro to adjust, they are dangerous.
ransley wrote: ...

_roughly_ equal and note that closing by pulling on the bottom is a far different test than pushing from the opener mounting location. Use the same direction/location as the opener to determine what is actually the force felt.

Good post. I can only add that I am not clear from the OP if the problem is the door or the opener. In any case if it is the opener, then make sure the safeties are all fully functional and there is nothing like spider webs blocking them.
On Oct 17, 4:42pm, snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Not only isn't it clear from the OP if it's the door or opener, it's not even clear that he has "safeties", by which I assume you mean the light beam. Many older installations do not have them. I don't.
In addition, if he had them and spider webs were blocking them, I don't think that would cause the "jerks, jerks, jerks" the OP mentioned. If the beams were triggered and reversed the door, it would go back up, not jerk it's way down.