garage door - to close I have to hold the wired button down the entire time else it stops and opens back up

First of all, thank you in advance to reading my post to try to help me out. It started about a month ago. My remotes were only closing the door sometimes. The rest of the time, they would close somewhat and then open up. When we could not close them with the remote, we then went to the wired pad and it worked fine.
Then it got to where the remotes don't even move the door when we try to close it. AND now we have to hold the button on the wired pad down the entire time until the door is closed.
We have a liftmaster. Its about 3 years old. I sure hate to spend $75 for someone to come out if its something that I could try to fix.
Again, thanks very much for your time.
Scott
<< something that I could try to fix. >>
How about batteries in the system? New? Old? Don't know?
Joe
It wouldn't be the batteries, as I get the same effect from the wired pad. Also, I get the same effect from my programmable G-door opener that came with the van and is powered by the car battery. Thanks for your thoughts.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote in message

Sounds like the force needs to be calibrated (screw on the back of the machine) or there is something gumming up the works. See the manual. You may find that 75 dollars is a good price to pay to not have to deal with this, it may turn into a bigger job than you think (Liftmaster's repair strategy: Throw parts at unit until it runs properly). Personally, I would rather work on something else. I have been in a home with a couple of Liftmasters for about 3 years and am not entireley satisfied myself--next time I get the ones I want.
cj

Thank you CJ - I will try this. Someone else suggested that I unhook the door from the unit. Then try to close the unit - if it works, then there is a problem with the door side (vice the electronics side).

My opener has an override of the light sensors. If something is in the path, I can hold the button down until the door completely closes to override it.
Scott wrote:

Check your photocells. You sould have a LED on each (I think Liftmaster/Sears is green). Make sure that both lights are steady and not blinking. Look close though, sometimes they flash so rapidly that they appear to be solid. If you have the photocells that clamp onto the door tracks, they can be vibrated around and misaligned just by normal door operation. I suggest moving these off of the tracks and onto the wall.
If that fixes your problem, go ahead and spray some WD/40 (or other preferred lubricant) on the springs, bearings, hinges, and rollers. No grease, PLEASE.
$55 bucks, and here's a 'fridge magnet with our number - good for five dollars off your next service call :)
snipped-for-privacy@myway.com (Scott) wrote in message

"If you have the photocells that clamp onto the door tracks, they can be vibrated around and misaligned just by normal door operation." That was exactly my problem...
Joe wrote:

When we had that happen (have to hold the button down til the door closed completely), turned out that something was blocking the photocells, but not quite in the way of the door.
Check for alignment and obstructions.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On 13 May 2004 06:30:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@myway.com (Scott) wrote:

Clean the electric eye sensors at the bottom of the door and check their alignment.
Mary
snipped-for-privacy@qnet.com
You guys (and girls) are great. Thank you all for your wisdom. I cleaned the photocells and made sure everything was in alignment. I unhooked the opener from the door and ran it a few times. I put it all back together and it now works fine.
Now can anyone tell me how to grow grass on rock, clay and pee-gravel? :) That's my next battle! Owning a home provides me with endless challanges.
Happy repairing!
Scott
snipped-for-privacy@myway.com (Scott) wrote in message

Simple. Just decide you do -not- want grass growing there. It will be 6" tall by morning. :)
Harry K