Garage door surface prep

A couple Wayne-Dalton steel garage doors on a 2-car detached garage in midwest US, installed in 1997. Got hit with graffiti.

I've been toying with it. Original paint on crinkle-finish doors appears to be largely oxidized and is very thin. I've been assuming it was baked enamel. Can't get graffiti off without stripping original paint.

Need to paint doors. Doubt spray is practical. Thinking a good grade of exterior paint applied with roller/brush. Not certain what (if any) surface prep would be appropriate.

Any ideas?

Thx, Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

e appropriate.

If you got hit with graffiti once, isn't it possible that you'll get hit with graffiti again?

What about using something like this (just an example):

Obviously the surface prep would be based on the instructions for whatever top coat you choose, whether it be "a good grade of exterior paint" or a specialized product so that you don't have to do it all again if the artists - errr - vandals strike again.

I'd talk to both an independent paint dealer and a garage door repair shop in your area. The product choosen, and therefore the surface prep, will be dependent on the weather conditions for your area.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

e appropriate.

Reply to
Joe

Related tip: Find a color in a spray can that you like (I used a shade of "Camouflage") from, um, RustOleum. Then get your final paint to match a sample from the spray can.

Thereafter, if there's more graffiti (eggs, bird poop, etc.), you can whip out your spray can and paint over the mess without too much trouble.

Reply to
HeyBub