Garage door surface prep

A couple Wayne-Dalton steel garage doors on a 2-car detached garage in midwest US, installed in 1997. Got hit with graffiti.
I've been toying with it. Original paint on crinkle-finish doors appears to be largely oxidized and is very thin. I've been assuming it was baked enamel. Can't get graffiti off without stripping original paint.
Need to paint doors. Doubt spray is practical. Thinking a good grade of exterior paint applied with roller/brush. Not certain what (if any) surface prep would be appropriate.
Any ideas?
Thx, Will
On May 27, 12:20pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

If you got hit with graffiti once, isn't it possible that you'll get hit with graffiti again?
What about using something like this (just an example):
http://www.seichemical.com/products/GPA-proofer_anti_stick.html
Obviously the surface prep would be based on the instructions for whatever top coat you choose, whether it be "a good grade of exterior paint" or a specialized product so that you don't have to do it all again if the artists - errr - vandals strike again.
I'd talk to both an independent paint dealer and a garage door repair shop in your area. The product choosen, and therefore the surface prep, will be dependent on the weather conditions for your area.
On May 27, 11:20am, Wilfred Xavier Pickles

You can't prepare a metal surface for paint anywhere near as well as the factory did, so don'y bother stripping the original finish. Go to a real paint store and consult with the experts on best products to do the job. They may even have something like a catalyzed epoxy that would cover in one really tough pass. Personally, I would use a HVLP spray (rental possible) as that would give you many more options for a durable finish that could simply cover the graffiti. There are graffiti resistant paints on the market IIRC, look for them. They are a maintenance item in the commercial world. Since the graffiti goons use spray finishes, many of those are solvent type lacquers. Even the box stores have a variety of paint solvents in pints or quarts that would be worth trying on the 'artwork' to at least partially remove it. Auto body supply shops may also have some 3M removers that could help mitigate the problem. Good luck.
Joe
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

Related tip: Find a color in a spray can that you like (I used a shade of "Camouflage") from, um, RustOleum. Then get your final paint to match a sample from the spray can.
Thereafter, if there's more graffiti (eggs, bird poop, etc.), you can whip out your spray can and paint over the mess without too much trouble.