Garage door spring broken in half - can a homeowner fix it himself?

Page 2 of 2
Oren wrote, on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 11:42:12 -0700:

I hope the OP ordered the springs with the cones attached.
I tried to remove the cones off the old springs, and concluded it wasn't even close to worth the effort to buy a spring without the end cones.
If your springs have cones, and you have winding bars and a six-inch vise grip, the job is easy to do (if your flag ends and center supports are already secure).
Just follow *all* the advice in the DDM videos and you'll do just fine.
replying to Shlomo Baumgard , Garagedoorguy wrote:

Removing and adding tension are not the only dangerous parts to the process. With larger much stronger high cycle springs it could be too much and cause the door to shoot up like a rocket the second the second the set screw is tightened after putting tension on the new spring. Always clamp the door down befor added tension to be safe. I've replaces 1000's and 1000's pairs of springs over the past 12 years in the garage door business. If you run into anything you don't understand I can probably explain it to you. How did you measure you wire diameter on the existing spring to give to the guy calibrating the new springs?
Garagedoorguy wrote:

I follow the rule, 4 turns(a full one turn on shaft) per foot of door height. Door being 16'x7', I start with ~30 windings and fine tune it. Worked well for me.
Shlomo Baumgard;3285898 Wrote:

Definitely go with the 70,000 cycle springs for the few dollars more.
Also, keep the winding bars in a conspicuous place in your attic rafters so that you have them if and when you need them again.
--
nestork

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:38:23 +0000 (UTC), Shlomo Baumgard

I've found the first time I do something, I do an excellent job and it goes perfectly. The second time I do a fine job, everything is fixed and nothing more is broken.
The third time deep down inside I think I know what I'm doing and even if I try hard not to think that, that's the time I'm likely to foul up. But I don't have garage door springs or even a garage.
(Used to in junior high and high school. It never occurred to me, or my mother I think, that it could be adjusted so it was easier to open. Coil springs, not tension springs.) For that matter, it never occurred to me that when the garbage disposal made terrible noises, it was broken. Or that when the dish washer filled the room with steam, the gasket should be replaced. All these things were like this when she bought the house when I was 10, and though I fixed other things, even when I was 10, these three things seemed to as fixed and unchangeable as mountain ranges.)

the dealership where I worked.. That was when I was a "young feller". Not sure I'd do the big ones today, but I'll still tackle an 8 footer. With care and the proper winding bars.
Not something for the beginning DIY homeowner to tackle.
On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:09:52 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Perhaps Stormy DOES know his limits???
Shlomo Baumgard wrote, on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:14:29 +0000:

Dunno. How good are you at welding?
Shlomo Baumgard;3285677 Wrote: > Garage door spring broke in half. Torsion type. > On a bar across the door. > Do people usually replace them as a DIY. > Or is it something nobody does themselves? There are many website that help you to fix garage door parts and other things that you can fix yourself. You may also get videos from youtube for fixing door spring issues. 'What your stock broker doesn&#8217;t want you to see' (http://easypcinvestor.com /)
--
stockbrokers

i'LL ADmit, I haven't bought any for more than 10 years, except needle nose vice grips, that I treat pretty delicately. There's been no need to buy the two models I have, because so far they are indestructable.
I also have the one with the bicycle chain, but so far, I've never used that.
Why not you find one on ebay because there are many companies who offering variety of products with long life guarantee and many other features that you need.
'What your stock broker doesn?t want you to see' (http://easypcinvestor.com /)
--
stockbrokers