Garage door roller problem

I have a Genie garage door opener that came with our house and whose age is undetermined. About a year ago the cable attached to one spring snapped. I reattached it and am comfortable that it was done properly. However, I've had an intermittent (more regular recently) problem with the top roller on that side jumping from its rail when the door is opening. If I don't slip it back into the rail the door will close partially, then reopen. If I do, it closes properly. I'm tired of getting on the ladder practically every 2 days to fix this. Any suggestions for a permanent solution? Thanks Ken

Reply to
kpawl

Sounds like the springs aren't balanced. Each spring on each side has to pull with the same strength for the door to not try to twist in the tracks, one corner trying to get ahead of the other. Compare the springs on each side - assuming they're both the same spring, installed at the same time, and no damage occurred when one snapped, they should each extend the same length when the door is in the down position. CAREFUL!! THOSE SPRINGS CAN BE DANGEROUS! It sounds like you really need a repairman, at least once, until you figure it all out.

Pop

and whose

to one

it was done

recently)

rail when

rail the door

properly. I'm

fix this.

Reply to
Pop Rivet

you dont reattache the cables, you get new cables as you have one side too tight (shortened cable and it pulling that side up when it goes up).. that is why you are having problems with it.....

Reply to
jim

Hi, Yup, balance is off. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Thanks to all of you. That certainly makes sense. I didn't suspect that since the difference between them is so small - not immediately visible to the naked eye. I just checked the spring movement and there is a slight difference in the tensions.

Reply to
kpawl