Garage door replacement

I'm going to replace my 16 X 7' garage door. I've looked at several at the big box stores but haven't bought yet. I intend to do it myself. Any suggestions, advice, caveats and recommendations will be appreciated. Thank you.
Steve southiowa
I'd check to see if there is a Wayne Dalton store near you. Installed they are often a lot cheaper than the big box stores and they definitely make some of the best doors around.
http://www.wayne-dalton.com /
Lowes or HD used to carry them but marked them up dramaticallly and charged extra for installing. Note the enclosed torsion spring.

For safety sake, find a garage door mechanic. I have a friend that attempted to replace the garage door springs and the spring twisted part of his thumb off. I can replace or hang a regular door which is no big deal, but a full-size garage door is well-beyond most DIY projects.
With the exception of lifting the top panel into place, a big door is no different to install than a small one. One man installed our 18' wood door alone.
--
Steve Barker

YOU should be the one

I used Midland insulated doors on my garage. These are really nice doors. You will not find them at HD or 'nard's. Whatever you get, the more spent the better. Cheap POS garage doors suck.
"J.A. Michel" wrote

=True. Our builder put BOL Wayne Dalton doors on our house 7 years ago and we replaced both of them this year. They literally fell apart.

Our Wayne Daltons (3 of them) are 10 years old and look and act brand new. They are double insulated panels. They probably make some low end garbage too special for builders.
"Art" wrote

=I'm sure but, still--If I were WD I wouldn't want my name on anything that bad. That is why we wouldn't replace them with WD. They should have thought of that.
On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:56:00 -0500, "J.A. Michel"

Absolutely! With garage doors as with plumbing supplies, the best is barely good enough.