Garage Door Repair Question

Hello,

Will be going over to friends house tomorrow to try and help repair his garage door. Haven't seen it yet, but do have two questions even now.

It looks like a hinge bracket and roller will need to be replaced; the kind with the roller going thru it.

It is in the middle of the door.

a. Is there any trick to getting the new roller itself into the track, or do they just slip in, usually, if you just tilt them a bit ?

b. The uppermost roller may also need to be rplaced. I believe it's a simple plate with just the roller going thru it; no hinge, of course, as it's the uppermost one.

Went to HD, but all they seem to have are the hinge/roller brackets. Nothing for just a roller without the hinge.

Quite surprised, but am wondering if I am missing something here. The instructions printed on the back of the packaging card are just about unreadable, but it does seem to show that it is, somehow, suitable fo this uppermost position.

Are these usable in the uppermost position, somehow ? How ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Don't know where you are at, but around here the Ace & True Value Stores have a pretty good selection of parts, but there are also several garage door companies that will sell parts to the general public. The parts you need should be cheap.

You do tilt the wheel in place with the hinge off the door. A screw gun with a socket adapter makes life easy.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

I recently had all of the rollers replaced professionally. If I recall correctly, the top one or two were removable simply by extending the top of the door beyond the end of the track. For the rest, the guy took a pair of large plyers, and on each side, near the track curve where sections of track had a seam, bent one end of the track out to create a gap, out of which each roller could be popped out and replaced. He moved the door up and down to get to each roller. When done, he used a hammer to bang the track back into place.

Reply to
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

The way I've always done it is to disassemble the door and then remove the rollers by cocking the door sections in the opening. I guess the bend and bash method probably is quicker though.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

That's the hammer mechanic procedure. I wouldn't call it very professional.

S. Barker

If I were you, I'd take some nice close-up pictures. Then, open your yellow pages (phone book) and find a garage door company that sells parts. Bring the pictures. Home Depot is not the place for this sort of thing.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom