Garage Door Repair and Maintainance!!

Hi Guys,

I am staying in Toronto and want to get my Garage Door Repaired and Maintained. The problem is I have got it repaired 5 times already and now the door stops half way down. I am really fed up of it. I have consulted few companies like Garage Doors Toronto - promaster.ca and they told me to get it replaced. Have anyone used their services before, is it worth the investment..

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Garagedoorstoronto

This is a DIY newsgroup and, in general, provides advice for self repair.

In your case, there is probably a screw adjustment on the side of the motor box governing downward travel.

Turn the screw.

Reply to
HeyBub

Replacement often comes after DIY. I know I nookied around with my old wooden door for years and finally replaced with a steel one. Glad I did.

Reply to
Frank

Do it yourself? I'm pondering that. Might save a grand. I've adjusted torsion springs and replaced hardware on them. But I kinda like the idea of hiring a pro crew who will get it right the first time, bring the new door and haul away the old wood door. It's a PITA getting rid of old stuff around here. I'd probably have to cut it into 4' pieces, bundle it, etc. Any thoughts?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Lighten up, HB- it is also where we tell people that when they are in over their head, there is no dishonor in hiring a pro, and (politely and quietly) watching and learning. And for a newbie, they can actually hurt themselves with a garage door. I hired my overhead door work out, mainly because I didn't want to get all greasy, and I don't have access to a helper to hold the other end of things. Yeah, I probably could have done it myself, but at my age, and with adequate current cashflow, I pick and choose what I care to work on.

And for OP's question- assuming they own the house, a well-working garage door is worth the investment at resale. It may not add to dollar total, but if it is broken or fussy, the odds of anyone making an offer are much lower. For anyone coming from a park-outside apartment, or a house with a manual or problematic door, one that opens smooth and quiet sticks in their mind.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Three solutions that have been known to work:

  1. Put it out for heavy trash pickup
  2. Take it to the heavy trash and recycling station
  3. Leave it in a schoolyard during the dark of the moon (next about August
27th)
Reply to
HeyBub

Like a lot of things, if you install it yourself you will probably know how to fix it when it breaks and adjust it when it needs adjusting.

Reply to
Fat-Dumb and Happy

That is a nice dream. Seldom true, but a nice dream. Ask any fix-it guy- a large chunk of their work is re-doing fubar'd DIY efforts, often called in by SWMBO after hubby starts making excuses, or is found in fetal position on floor, crying softly.

Hey, I grew up in the business, so I know how to do a lot more than most. But I also have a pretty good grasp of what I DON'T know, and feel no shame in calling in an expert for those projects. I'm also getting old, so for stuff I don't feel SAFE doing any more, or stuff I know is a major pain to do, well....

Reply to
aemeijers

I agree. I was also very happy to replace my old wooden doors with insulated steel doors.

The pro did the whole job in a little over half a day and they've worked flawlessly every since.

Do shop around on prices. Mine were in the range $1500 to $4500 (this for one double plus one single door).

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar