Garage door question

The connection where the opener arm attaches to the door is not as secure as I would like. It was fine, but a spring broke and things got quite stressed more than it should. It is no longer possible to get the bolts as tight as I would like into the door.

I am considering a steel plate on the outside and bolt it though the plate. That should function well enough. (Note per the instructions there is a steel angle as a brace under the opener arm on the inside of the door now. The door itself seems solid and everything is functioning OK.

I am also considering this as an opportunity to just replace my two doors with something a little nicer and with windows.

Any suggestions or comments?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

They make a bracket just for this purpose which is much stronger & better. One source & pictures of the bracket can be found here:

(I am not associated w/ the site in any manner, but it is a nice site that's easy to use)

Through bolts thru the door isn't going to help a whole lot, plus the door will not look all that great from the outside.

Doordoc

Reply to
doordoc

Reply to
nospambob

I too like windows in door.

If your uin a hurricane area get ones that are hurricane safe. They prevent the door blowing out which leads to overall home destruction.

Reply to
hallerb

..

Thanks for the comment. I don't think I will need worry about hurricane safe, it has been a long time since we had a hurricane in Ohio, but with global warming and rising sea levels, maybe ...

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Tanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan