Garage-door push button

Page 1 of 2
A doorbell push-button operates my garage-door opener to raise and lower the overhead garage door.
I've replaced the old push button with a new doorbell-push button.
When I press the new push button, the garage door goes in one direction then stops. When I push the button again, nothing happens. (I've wired the new push button the same way the old push button was wired) I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different brands but they also move the door in just one direction.
When I re-install the original push button and push the button, the door moves in one direction and, when I push the button again, the door reverses.
What am I doing wrong?
On Sat, 14 May 2011 10:58:22 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

Check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is.
On 5/14/2011 1:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

I've never run across one that was more than just a momentary-close contact.
I'd venture the problem is the combination doorbell-pushbutton is the one that has something that's more than just a set of pushbotton contacts.

Perhaps you missed: "I've even tried THREE other new push buttons of different brands but they also move the door in just one direction."
On 5/14/2011 1:20 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

No, that's _precisely_ what I mean--the combination devices are more than _just_ a pushbutton.

So what about "check the original button with an ohm meter to see exactly what it is" do you disagree with?
On 5/14/2011 4:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote: ...

Nothing; why did you think I disagreed w/ seeing what was in the original (altho it almost certainly is nothing but a momentary contact)--I was just telling OP which device I think is his issue (and why).

By his (the OP's) own admission it is NOT a simple momentary contact - it has a light (a resistance) in it.

The original one (that works) is a Heath Zenith Wired Push Button (Model # 700W-A)
The new one (that doesn't work) is a IQ America Wired Lighted Doorbell Push Button (Model # DP-1110A)
Gary

I'd bet the issue is the replacement one is LIGHTED, ie as someone posted, more than just a momentary switch. Were any of the other ones that did not work just a switch?
gcotterl wrote:

As already mentioned you may have a button with lamp in it or diode. You just need a plain momemtary contact button. Ohm it out.

Remove the light bulb - cut the wire going to one end of the bulb. I'll bet my retirement that that fixes your problem. BTW - If the button makes it move in one direction, how do you move it in the other direction to try the pushbutton again. You don't mention if the remote control works or not.

The remote control works correctly.
To move the garage door in the opposite direction, I have to disconnect one of the wires from the push button, reconnect the wire and press the push button.
gcotterl wrote:

What does it tell you? Just install right one and done with it.

And right there is your problem. Use an *un*lighted doorbell, or disconnect the light.
On 5/14/2011 5:26 PM, Doug Miller wrote: ...

Or find one that has a set of contacts that aren't connected to anything else (or modify the one you have). There's no reason you can't have a light; it just can't have the diode across the contacts.

But that's where it gets its power, right? Works fine when you use it for a doorbell. It's these newfangled gadgets like those goldarn geerage door oapners that cause trouble.
I don't think the OP is the one to be putting in a separate power supply, or a transformer and latching relay.
On Sat, 14 May 2011 11:24:55 -0700 (PDT), gcotterl

NOT work.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:j6ius6p7qrb8oeem8q91e53g44qjtl5a6o@ 4ax.com:

Well, I have a Genie garagedoor opener system, and next to the door is a nice lighted button that does exactly what it is supposed to do. The light is green, if that means anything, and the wire looks like something low- voltage. Looking up a manual for Genie openers it says in big letters:
NOTE: Additional wall controls are available from your dealer. ONLY ONE OF YOUR WALL CONTROLS MAY BE THE LIGHTED TYPE. If you have a lighted wall control, all your additional controls must be un-lighted. More than one lighted wall control per operator will cause a malfunction.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Of course that is LED(a diode), our Genie screw drive opener has red colored LED in it. It is different from ordinary lamp. If you are talking about wall mounted keypad with lighed keys, it's different again. One shot relay is sending kinda pulse to the opener when you punch the code from keypad. Whatever you are dealing with, if you understand.....