garage door problem

the issue with the electronic garage door is the way it closes.
Opening the garage is not problem. press the button without holding it down, it opens. However, I press the button without holding it down to close the garage door. it won't close. I've had to hold the button down so it would close. If I release the button when the door is half-way closed, it reverses course & stays open.
ideas?
--
Dilbert Firestorm

remove *byteme* to email me
On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Something in the way of the safety sensors or misaligned safety sensors?
Limit switches offset?
What type/brand of garage door?
On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:03:03 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

disconnect door opener, at release.
operate the door by hand. may be a cable off a pulley, lack of lubrication, etc etc.
door should move easily by hand in both directions
On Sunday, February 8, 2015 at 7:03:03 AM UTC-5, SBH wrote:

That's where I'd start.

Yes, that too. They have down force, limit of travel adjustments.

More importantly what door opener and has he read the manual.
On 2/8/2015 2:21 AM, dilbert firestorm wrote:

Hope you have the owners manual. I worked on a door with similar problem. The problem turned out to be that the plug that connects the little white wire to the safety sensor was dirty. Remove and replace, spray with WD-40.
Another cause of similar behavior is dirty lens on safety sensor, or sensor pointed in wrong direction.
On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 08:00:14 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Or current sensor set too low and door binding

On 2/8/2015 2:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

--
.
Christopher A. Young

If something is blocking the safety sensors, the door will open normally, but will not close. It will reverse and go back up. The model I have lets you override the sensor problem by holding the button. This sounds like an exact match to your symptoms. The problem can be something blocking the sensors, bad sensors, bad wiring to the sensors, or a bad control board in the opener. Start with the obvious stuff first. It is not uncommon for the wiring screws on the sensors to become loose or for the tiny wires to break. Also, someone may have bumps one of the sensors such that they no longer aim at each other. (The sensors are usually mounted on either side of the door near the bottom. It is easy to hit them with brooms or shovels that are commonly found in garages and store in corners near the door.)

This^. Had exactly this problem with the door at my daughter's condo. Sensor mounting brackets were loose and there was crap and bits of leaves around the eyes. Cleaned up the eyes, remounted the brackets securely, and reaimed them as best I could. One of those things did the trick and solved the problem.
On 2/8/2015 11:10 AM, D F Bonnett wrote:

Very good, sir. You are an excellent father. And kind to post and let us know what you learned.
On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 16:01:46 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Thanks for the compliment. You do what you can for your kids until you get put under. I forgot to mention that I had found an FAQ about garage doors that indicated that if you can force the door down by holding the button down the problem is almost definitely with the eye, and so I started there.
On 2/15/2015 12:03 PM, D F Bonnett wrote:

When Mom's garage door went misbehaved, I found the manual Dad had left near the garage door rails. Read, follow, fix.
dilbert firestorm wrote:

Hi, You mentioned electronic, read the manual and set it up again regarding close and open limit. Maybe opener has indicator LEDs reporting trouble code.
+1 to the safety sensor problem. Mine was spider webs on the receiving lens that reduced the light just enough that the sensor thought something was blocking the doorway
dilbert firestorm wrote:

Similar problem with my door. Found that on a bright sunny day, the sun was hitting the receiving sensor. Had to put a "hat" over the sensor to block the sun hitting the sensor.
On Mon, 09 Feb 2015 19:20:46 -0500, Arnie Goetchius

Installed GDO for a friend a few years back, we put both the source and the sensor inside black PVC pipe and strapped the PVC to the wall with pipe clamps. Good protection against damage and direct sunlight.