garage door operers

Belt drive or screw drive, Id like some opinions please. Which is quieter, requires less maintenance etc. Thanks, Dave email acct is having trouble, please respond to group

I've been using Genie's screw drive for years. I've got one that's from 1971 and is still running fine. All it's needed in all that time is the thing that goes back and forth along the rail and a transformer, both less then $12 each. The newest Genie I've got is called the "Excelerator" or something like that. It opens at twice the speed of "regular" speed openers and closes at about half the speed. Uses a DC motor. Every 5 years or so I grease the screw.
Dave wrote:

See:
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Subject: Garage Door Opener - What's Best Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:21:03 -0700
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

I have a Genie screwdrive opener that is around 18 years old. It may be somewhat noisier than the other drive types, but it has needed no service other than infrequent greasing. In terms of the noise level, the the door tracks and rollers produce more, albeit without the steady frequency of the screwdrive. Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+ http://home.comcast.net/~dyrgcmn /
Thanks to all, the info is appreciated, Dave