Garage door openers

We are planning on buying a house but the garage door mechanism is covering most of the attic door entrance. Basically, the attic is unusable because of it. The inspection guy was going on about some new garage door type opener which mounts near the door itself and therefore wouldn't be in the way. Has anyone had any experience of these and how much they cost?
Paul
can you cut a new access to the attic?

Wayne-Dalton makes one called IDRIVE. I don't know how good it is.
http://www.wayne-dalton.com/idrive_Torsion.asp
My parents have had one for 2 years and it is great. When my old style openers go I will replace them with IDrives.

Maybe he's referring to the Wayne-Dalton iDrive, which mounts on the wall immediately above the door. It took a while to get ours working OK: the one we bought apparently was old stock of an earlier design, but WD sent a new controller board and light unit at no charge.
Very quiet, but not cheap. You'll find a variety of opinions online if you Google "iDrive."
Perce
On 12/17/05 10:48 pm D'Olier wrote:

If your door has torsion springs (springs on shaft above door & which the Idrive also requires), simply move the existing opener off to one side of the attic opening. With torsion springs the opener does not need to be on center.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
Except many garage doors have a reinforced position in the center for the opener and can be damaged if the opener is installed somewhere else on the door.

Wanye Dalton unit would work for you. The unit fits above the door and incorperates a torsion spring and operator into one unit. These seem to work somewhat well for lowheadroom applications. If yhour door is bigger than a 16x7 then I suggest a jackshaft operator made by liftmaster purchased from a lift master dealer for around $375-400 dollars Hope this helps you anthony anthonys door systems snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com