Garage door openers

I would appreciate some opinions on garage door openers.
I presently have a genie of indeterminate age that is starting to fail. Its a screw drive consumer model with the three part track bolted together.
The local door service I called suggests replaceing it with a Liftmaster, either chain or belt driven. They tell me that the quality of the Genie has gone down in the last few years and they no longer carry Genie.
Questions:
1) Is the motor on the Genie (which seems to have become intermittant) easily obtainable and easily replaceable? Should I first replace the starting capacitor? It seems to start OK, raises the door a foot or two and stops. The adjustment for sensitivity (is that the right term) is at max.
2) Whats the dependability of Liftmasters in general? Between screw drive, chain drive & belt drive which is the best and most relieable? I only have experience with screw drives.
Thanks for you help.
--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
On 5 Sep 2008 10:37:30 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

First make sure the door operates reasonably without the opener. (ie, make sure a spring isn't broken). If all is OK, older genies had a clutch adjustment on the back of the screw. If so, tighten it slightly until the problem goes away. You said the you set the sensitivity adjustment for max. It seems like max sensitivity is the opposite of what you want. Maybe you just worded it incorrectly. Good luck.
that clutch adjustment will not help his intermittent motor problem

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 10:05:19 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Maybe, it's not the motor.
I ended up with two belt drives from Overhead door company. Due to the size of the doors.. I can tell you (if it matters) the belt drives are quieter than a well lubed genie screw. You can however, still buy a genie at the big box stores. I'd do that before i'd attempt any repair on an old one. Hell they're only $139 or whatever.
http://www.overheaddoor.com/Product.aspx?pidI

It seems that it is usually cheaper to get something new than it is to repair many things now.
I always liked the warranty of the $ 5.00 socket sets from years ago. Guaranteed for life. You send the broken socket back and get a new one for $ 4.95 shipping and handling.

And I ran into some companies that required me to send the whole unit back, many pounds, instead of just the broken part, a few ounces, and paid shipment both ways. That make the warranty worthless.
On Sep 5, 11:04am, "Steve Barker DLT"

re: I can tell you (if it matters) the belt drives are quieter than a well lubed genie screw.
Just a tip: Hang your opener from rubber straps and you'll reduce the noise substantially. I have a bedroom above the garage and the boys say the rubber straps reduced the transmitted noise by half. It's also much quieter in the garage itself.
I used a couple of pieces of thick conveyor-belt material, about 4" long.

Thanks Steve, Do you know if my "Intellicode" remotes would work with an OHD unit? I have 5 remotes in all and replacing them all would add to the cost.
Can anyone comment on Genie's quality going down recently, or is that just a sales pitch from the dealer I called?
I called the local OHD dealer, and they seem to have only chain or belt models, and say the belt is quieter. Noise has never been a problem with past screw drives.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 18:11:34 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

Go with the belt vs chain. Both stretch out over time and need attention/repair. Belt is quieter
On Sep 5, 9:37am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

You might have 2 adjustments on the unit, force and sensivity

re: You might have 2 adjustments on the unit, force and sensivity
I'm not sure I see a difference between "force and sensivity" in this case.
Typically the 2 adjustments (actually 4) are force and travel, up and down for each.

I had the same issue with a liftmaster and adjusted a second set of adjustments on the other side of the unit and its worked fine since. He should call the co that made the unit they might diagnose it easily as Liftmaster did for me.

I've replaced my Genies with the belt drive Liftmasters. I have four new belt drive Liftmasters, one with battery backup. Quiet and smooth, one remote controls three different units. I had chain, screw and belt drives over the years on multiple properties. Chain drives are PIA, low end units that needs constant adjustment and I wouldn't buy another one again. I never had a screw mechanism broke, but my Genie belt broke after 17 years. Installed a new belt and good for another 5 years before the motor burn out.
My old 1/2hp screw drive Genie seems stronger than my new 1/2hp Liftmaster belt drive, but I still like the Liftmaster better. My other belt drive Liftmaster with the battery backup is 3/4hp. Also have one screw drive Liftmaster and its working well after 4 years.
On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:54:46 -0700, Frank wrote:

Unless the chain drive is a full length chain I would avoid it. Most chain drives also have a cable that seems to snap at the worst possible moment.
Frank" <x> says...

I've had numerous chain units and have never had to adjust them. I had one fail after 15 years, thought the failure wasn't in the mechanics. It was easier to replace than repair because all the electronics had to be changed anyway (FCC thing).

I have a Limaster now. I have to find accessories for it (entry keypad, etc.).
--
Keith

If you decide to get a new opener try the belt drives. http://www.liftmaster.com/consumerweb/products/pflBelt.htm
On Sep 5, 10:37am, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Rich Greenberg) wrote:

Step #1, disconnect the opener and make sure the door opens easily and will balance at the half way point. If not adjust it and then see what happens. Your description of the problem does seem to point to the motor, but many door problems end up being just a simple adjustment and yours could be as well.