GARAGE DOOR OPENERS

OK, it's probably a silly question, but this is my first house with a garage-door opener. One of the two remotes is missing. I'm concerned about someone I don't know using the missing remote to access my garage without my knowledge. Is there any way to "deprogram" the existing remotes or perhaps just purchase two new ones and "re-program" the system to accept them?? Thanks in advance.
If it's the older style with dip switches, just change the code. If it's the newer style without switches, then I have the same question.
--
Steve Barker

"BrianInNY" < snipped-for-privacy@aol.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

What brand? Model?
What kind of opener? Surf online to find a manual for it. If it has dip-switches, then change them. If it has "intellicode", then re-learn the remote(s) you have to the opener. This will exclude the missing remote.

BrianInNY wrote:

Heh!
We had a local TV crew troll residential neighborhoods with a generic opener. They were able to open about 1 in 20 garage doors from the street.
Fortunately, there are no recorded instances of thieves being as smart as TV reporters.

Sure is possible --- if you told us who made the unit.