garage door opener wont work

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:39:47 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

The gear does look pretty rough but it is just worn, not broken. Start be seeing of there is any "wink" in either belt pulley. One should move until the belt stops it. the other may not move at all. If the motor seems to be moving, look towards the chain end. Work your way through it until you see what is stuck. Taking the belt off may be the way to start but since you want to replace the pulley anyway, going at it from that end may be better. That doesn't look like the 3 GDOs I have here to look at so I will be short on details about how the drive works.
I imagine there is a you tube these days telling you how to go at taking this apart.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 13:51:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

gear, which then turns the pinion that drives the chain to move the door. The pinion is so badly worn the worm has "climbed the teeth" jamming it up, causing te motor to take the teeth right off the belt, right down to the cords. No idea how old the GDO is - or what brand - looks like an old Chamberlain Liftmaster of some type - likey 30 or more years old? Parts will still be available but owner will need to decide weather to spend $30 on a gear kit (http://www.amazon.ca/Chamberlain-Garage-Door-Opener-Gear/dp/B000V0KYQY ) and another 12 for a belt ((Amazon.com product link shortened)), and an hour or two of time, or to replace the unit with a new one.
I've rebuilt a few of them over the years
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:39:47 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

You could look at it this way: The motor must have been pretty strong to strip the gear like that, and once the gear is stripped, the load on the motor is (much?) less so there's not much reason for it to wear out after the gear is stripped.
If the gear that engages the belt is on the part of the belt with no teeth, that presents almost no load for the motor.

That gear is certainly worn, probably running for years without any grease but it isn't stripped. Something bound up and it might be as simple as the trolley jammed into the stop. That is fairly common with Chamberlain/Craftsman. It is pretty high on the trouble shooting chart in the owner book.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 14:22:10 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

the gear guarantees the new belt will not last. The worm gear has "climbed" the pinion and jammed solid - causing the motor to take the teeth off the belt. I've done several of these units - with the same problem. Sometimes the gear will torally strip without taking the belt out - but when the belt is gone like that, and the obvious signs of gear failure are so evident - it is almoast a dead giveaway that the gear has jammed due to excessive wear.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 17:39:47 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

belt is totalled. You need a complete rebuild kit (full set of gears and belt) By attempting to run the door up or down the motor will be run. If you hear it spin it is OK. You will want to be a pretty reasonable handi-man to do the rebuild yourself. You will need a few tools. You might want to ask for some help from a friend who is more mechanically inclined than yourself as, although it's not "rocket science" it is a bit more involved than changing a light bulb.
badgolferman wrote:

Okay, I took the belt off and the plastic gear assembly. The motor drives just fine and the worm gear seems to be fine too. The gear was totally dry with no grease on it.
I ordered the replacement parts for my Liftmaster 1280R. Hopefully this works.
Gear and internal guts $13.90: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
19' belt $56.70: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 11/15/2015 11:28 AM, badgolferman wrote:

We don't know your skills, but some home owners can.
I'd be tempted to remove the cover, loosen the adjuster, remove the belt. Then try the opener and see if the motor spins.
New belts should not be all that expensive. Tighten, and recheck and retighten in about a week, they loosen up.
when replacing a 30 year old opener.
buy and install a brand new opener. you will get a bunch of safety improvements that werent even dramed about when the opener was new

Some call them a nightmare