garage door opener wont work

Page 1 of 2
Liftmaster Formula I.
When I hit the button the motor makes noise but the belt doesn't move. The door moves on the track freely when I lift it manually. Examining the belt I see the rubber has separated near the motor and only the steel belts are visible. There is maybe an inch or two of slack in the belt when I pull on it. This belt seems to be the problem to my untrained eye. Is this something I can fix on my own?
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:28:46 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman

Are you just saying you have a bad belt? With the door disconnected from the trolley, can you move the driven pulley? (making the trolley move)

No, I can't move the belt by hand. Should I be able to? It's still attached to the motor and gear at the other end.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:50:21 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman

Look at the trolley and be sure it is not jammed into the back end. You can take the belt off to break the tie but if it is loose you should be able to see if it is the motor or the driven pulley that is locked up. My bet is the trolley missed the stop switch and crashed into the bumper so hard it jammed. Sometime you can rock the door while someone hits "go down" and break it loose.
On 11/15/2015 11:50 AM, badgolferman wrote:

The couple of GDO I've serviced, I can usually move the belt by hand, even when attached.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Until the gears "ride up" and jam. Then nothing moves easily (except the motor when the teeth come off the belt) He sais he hears a whirring sound - that's the motor running against the toothless drive belt.
badgolferman wrote:

Sounds like belt is a toast. How about replacing the belt? If you don't try you'll never learn. There is many Youtube how to do out there. My GDO is screw drive type, no belt to replace or wear out!

I don't want to replace the belt and find out the motor is bad. I'm trying to diagnose the problem with your help.
On 11/15/2015 11:51 AM, badgolferman wrote:

Release the door from the opener. Engage the door with the opener while you are viewing the motor and gears. Do they turn? Yes, replace gear and belt. No? Motor is shot. Buy a new GDO.

Just look at the posted pictures. VERY obvious the gears and belt are both "toast"
On 11/15/2015 3:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

He still seeks clarification of a working motor and has stated he doesn't want to replace the belt and gear to discover the motor is fried. Allowing the motor to run without tension will confirm his concern.
On 11/15/2015 3:57 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Makes one wonder why they are ground to useless?
Snow load, or maybe dried out rollers? Door got jammed diagonal?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Common failure on Chamberlain / Liftmaster openers. They are supposed to be greased - when the grease goes, so do the plastic gears - particularly when they get to be over 20 years old (and I'm thinking that one is pushing 30)
On 11/15/2015 9:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Suggests that owners of that brand should so routine maint on their machines? Not just wait till the service engine soon light comes on?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They are not designed to be a 50 year unit - but with good servicing they can be. And when you say "that brand", some private brand units - including craftsman - are made by Chamberlain.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

This unit was manufactured 05/99.
On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 12:07:41 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"

Looks like another product that is getting "cheaper" as the years go by - even if the price is not dropping.
On Sun, 15 Nov 2015 16:51:36 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman

If the motor runs and the door doesn't move, and the belt is chewed up - I'd spend the couple bucks for a new belt and give it a try. About 95% chance everything else is OK. The remaining 5% is the chance something else is badly warn and jammed the thing up, causing the belt to go.
On 11/15/2015 11:51 AM, badgolferman wrote:

Try the GDO with the belt removed. Motor should spin when the button is pressed.
badgolferman wrote:

Here are some pictures:
Internal gear https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RyxiIh1BYbSXpCSFd2ZlpvZEk/view
Belt https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4RyxiIh1BYbMVhSWEJfcmVqeEk/view
Looks like the gear is stripped and the belt is bad. How can I diagnose the motor?