Garage Door Opener Won't Lower Door

Lately, our garage door opener has been acting up. We have a rolling metal door, and it goes up just fine. But when we try and lower the door, the opener unit flashes as if there's an obstruction and the door reverses direction and goes back up. We can find no obstruction. If we push and hold the wall-mounted button, it will lower the door all the way, but only if we hold the button for the duration of the lowering. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Reply to
Fleemo

The first thing to check is the "Reverse Sensitivity" adjustment -- mine is a nut on the side of the opener. Try decreasing the sensitivity.

Reply to
Erma1ina

Dose your wall mount button have a lock setting. I found on my daughters that if the lock button has been pushed it acts the same way yours does. Took me about an hour to figure that one out.

Hope this helps

Chris

Reply to
Chris

De-couple the door. See if you can move the door manually without feeling any obstruction.

Reply to
tnom

If it has a electric eye, check for correct alignment-- then for cobwebs, dust, leaves, etc.

Reply to
Sharp-Dressed Man

That sounds like a problem with the photocell safety circuit.

Check the photocell safety circuit for alignment, dirty lenses, etc. When our house was new, we had a problem in the summer with late afternoon sun blinding the receiver. Had to have somebody stand and shadow the receiver in order to close the door. Problem went away when the olive tree in the front yard grew enough to block the late afternoon summer sun.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Had similar time of day problem. Was able to make the system work properly during this sun blinding time period by just making sure the eyes were squeaky clean. Minimize the diffusion of the sunlight.

Reply to
tnom

Is the door properly balanced? Disconnect it from the opener and pull the door so that it's halfway down. If it doesn't stay there, it isn't balanced and the opener will have a hard time opening or closing the door, depending on which way the door is out of balance. Call a garage door co. to fix this.

Reply to
Bob M.

Reply to
BobK207