Garage Door Opener - What's Best

Now have a 7 year old Genie worm gear opener that is very noisy and a real pain to lubricate every few months to try curtail the noise. Plan on switching to either a chain or belt system figuring they both just have to be better. Would appreciate comments from people that have a chain or belt drive system

Reply to
Ray

I've owned them all - and the Genie is as quiet as any of them if it is installed properly. Worm drive noise is usually a sign that something is misaligned.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Reply to
nospambob

The screw drives have been very reliable, long lasting and quiet for me. My current ones are 12 years old and the last ones were even older when I sold that house. I suggest you have a problem that need to be fixed and the lube is just covering it up.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Chamberlin's website is pretty helpful. If I recall properly, chain is best, but belt is quieter. I don't remember the advantage of the worm gear, but I chose a chain a couple months ago.

Reply to
toller

For something different check out Wayne Dalton's site. They have an opener that fits above the door. Lowes sells it but if you have a Wayne Dalton store local they will probably install it for less than Lowes. It is very fast but medium noise level.

Reply to
Art

I installed two Wayne Dalton I-Drive opener's and WD doors last year, they are real quiet and an excellent system!! I will never go back to chains or screws..... I ordered mine from Lowes...

Roger

Reply to
Roger Jensen

Several years ago I had my two 9' doors and Chamberlain chain openers replaced with steel insulated Overhead doors and Overhead Phantom openers (which I believe are made by Alliance (Genie)) belt drive units. Aside from a sligh humming sound when the motors are running these units are virtually SILENT. The garage doors are directly under the master bedroom and I've been able to sneak out in the early AM without waking the wife. And she is a light sleeper.

Just my $.02 worth...

Reply to
Bob_M

Who makes a true chain drive system any more? They are chain/cable trash. As soon as the weak cable broke on mine after only 2 or 3 years I went to screw drive. Neither system would shut the door in the winter when the temp got below about 20 degrees. The present Wayne Dalton system is the best so far. Next step is to buy a commercial grade opener!

As others have pointed out, if you need to lubricate that often you have a different problem that needs correction.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

I have 2 WD I-Drives. They good but have limits.

Remotes only work short range, you can not just press the button once, you have to hold it few seconds.

Other issue I have is when I cross the safety beam on Chamberlands overhead light comes on. I Drive does nothing. I wish they could fix some of the glitches.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Reply to
nospambob

Marantec is the BEST!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Extend the antenna on the IDrive or move it slightly.... something is probably blocking it. Ours has great reception. If you have a Wayne Dalton door with their special spring you don't even need the safety beam.

Reply to
Art