Garage Door Opener -- update

Went to Lowes this afternoon and picked one up. Got the Chamberlain 1/2 HP belt drive. Has everything I need and more. $198 Comes with the outdoor keypad that I find very handy. It has two remotes, but I only need one since I don't put the cars in the garage. I'll probably install it next weekend.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Huh?? I don't put the cars in the garage. Why a new opener?

Reply to
LouB

That sounds like the one I installed here a year or so ago. You will love the belt drive, it's very quiet. My brother who just installed a Genie? screw drive heard mine and got pissed off that his new one was so much louder.

Reply to
Tony

Oh, be sure to reinforce the top door panel so if it ever gets stuck, it doesn't bend the top panel in half. I still think the post about the "burglar in garage" was a door that wasn't reinforced for the opener. That story about burglars bending the top panel in half to get in sounded a bit out there. It would have been hard as hell to do if that door had been reinforced like it should have been, and the cop telling the dumb story just puts the icing on the cake.

Reply to
Tony

You can put cars in there?

Reply to
Steve B

Sounds good.

Can I have the other remote? I'd like to store a few things in your garage sometimes.

Reply to
mm

Did one with my SIL. They are really quiet.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

The usual reasons of course.

Picture Ed welding and filling the garage with smoke. Mrs. P. starts screaming about the fumes. With one push of the button, the door goes up and traffic noise drowns out the sound of Mrs. P's complaints and Ed can finish running his bead.

Or picture Ed coming home with a new tool purchase. If he has to go into the house and run the gauntlet, Mrs. P might use her womanly powers to detect his purchase before he has the opportunity to take it out of the package and get it too dirty for her to insist that he return it. The garage door opener allows Ed just a little more time that he needs to preserve domestic tranquility.

Besides being a really cool thing, wouldn't you want to have a garage door opener?

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

The garage is my shop and also has some storage. It is still rather convenient to push a button and have the door open or close for you, especially if it is raining or your hands are full. I can carry a box of stuff from the garage to the house and then push a button to close the door.

Ever notice at the supermarket the doors open and close for you? Makes life a little easier.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you have a pet or kids get the Electronic Door Eye, keeps pouchie and baby from being squished. If its a 3 button remote it should do X10, car 3 button remotes do X10

Reply to
ransley

I was just curious. Reply makes excellent sense.

Reply to
LouB

Neither applies, but the eye comes with it. I think they all have them now. Yes, it is a 3 button.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ya! Good question.

Reply to
Steve Barker

OP replied a few days ago. IT's a workshop

Reply to
LouB

Same reason you have an opener when you do put the car inside. It opens the door at the push of a button.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Both of mine are 25 year old chain drive. They are noisy as hell, but when I replace them I want something noisier. I like to know when my wife gets home... it gives me time to shut off the TV, get up off my ass and look like I have been busy at something like emptying the dishwasher. :)

Reply to
Ned Flanders

A man who runs things around his house. Dishwasher, clothes washer, dryer, lawnmower ect.

Reply to
Metspitzer

When my wife gets home the dog's ears perk up. A sure sign of groceries and dog treats. That garage door is really quite.

She don't know the dog gives her away !!

Reply to
Oren

Quite, what?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

I can't fit any cars in my garage, but all 3 cars have remotes, besides the keypad on the outside. It's easier to put groceries in the house without using keys for the front doors, or opening and closing them for multiple trips. Also when backing out of the driveway and you notice you didn't close the garage door, you don't have to drive back up and get out of the car to close the door.

Reply to
willshak