garage door opener... sensor beams?

Page 1 of 2
Hi all, I just installed a Chamberlain 1/2HP garage door opener in my garage. The opener is not new, it is actually about 8-9 years old. I removed it from my mother's garage before it was torn down.
I want to know if there is a way to "hot-wire" the opener so as to bypass those stupid electric eye sensors that mount on the bottom of the doorway. Anyone know how to do this?
I guess if there is no way to accomplish this, I could always mount the sensors up above by the opener and have them pointed at each other.
Any help would be appreciated.
-Tony
snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net wrote:

Yeah, it's always best to disable those "stupid" life saving electric eye sensors.

Ahh another one of our federally mandated safety devices. Our elected officials looking out for us once again.
Just tape them together & hang em out of the way soemwhere.
3rd eye wrote:

I line those up with the furthest forward areas of each car bumper. Makes it impossible to lower the door when it would hit the car's bumber and scratch it.
3rd eye wrote:

They get more taxes out of us when we're alive.
snipped-for-privacy@frontiernet.net wrote:

Normally I would say you had a really stupid idea. However I am going to guess the real problem is they are not working properly. If I am right, how about telling us what the problem is and maybe we can help you out.
I might suggest this if I am wrong. Just consider spending the next 10 years in jail if some neighbor kid would happen to get injured and you had disarmed them? The reason they are required is there were a lot of injuries and worse.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

not exactly. the reason they are required is there were a couple injuries because people were too stupid to adjust the 'return force' mechanism that already existed (and still does). these resulted in huge lawsuits because people wouldnt own up to their own stupidity. hence, we now have electronic eyes.
is the door really any safer? no.
randy
xrongor wrote:

Famous last words. Ask your insurance company what they think.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Ask a personal injury attorney or ask the parents of children that were injured or killed by doors with faulty or improperly adjusted reverse mechanisms.
The doors aren't any safer, the beams aren't there to protect the doors. But the children are indeed safer.
Go figure....
Rich http://www.garagedoorsupply.com

which would be like asking the cigarette company what they think of smoking...
randy
xrongor wrote:

No, it is more like asking your life insurance company what they think of smoking. It is in the best interest of both insurance companies to provide accurate true information.
Sorry I can't help you gain common sense or to overcome your attachment to conspiracy theories. If you want another source, try you local fire and EM department. Ask them.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

joseph, my point is simple. EVERYTHING is out to kill you. you need to come up with some sort of pecking order so you can worry about the important things. how much safer do electronic eyes on garage doors make the world? very very little.
if you just want to increase your chances of survival, why not build a concrete bunker, and never leave it.
if you want something worth worrying about i could give you a whole list.
randy
xrongor wrote:

And just how did you determine that they provide so little protection or that garage doors are so safe?
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, 20,000 people each year have been treated in hospital emergency rooms for injuries related to garage doors.
Over 85 children have died or suffered severe brain injuries involving automatic garage doors since 1974.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Between 1974 and when? Given a ten year span for that figure (74 to 84) that puts the risk at less than 1 in 30 million per child per year. SInce you can only be a child for about 15 years, that means the risk per individual is around 1 in 2 million, which is well below my threshold for alarming risks.
If you make a set of assumptions designed to justify the detectors, (the detectors prevent 75% of such accidents, somewhere in the vicinity of 8 million relevent garage doors in the country), you could expect, at best, a 1/125,000 chance that any given installation will prevent an accident.
If the things add $20 to the cost of the door, then it makes sense to add them if you can't save more than one life by spending 2.5 million dollars somewhere else.

how many of them would have been saved by the electronic eye?
to rephrase, how can you put this into perspective so that we can see the actual effect of the electronic eye on garage door safety?

30 years, 85 kids. so less than 3 a year. which is virtually zero.
like i said before. choking on peas and peanuts is more dangerous. you want to put electronic eye detectors on peanuts?
randy
xrongor wrote:

Impossible to say, however I don't think it takes much effort to realize that it would have been less.

Unless one of those three was your son or daughter. I take it you don't believe their lives have any value?
You are sounding very much like a troll.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

you brought up the statistic. im just showing you why its meaningless.

you are the troll. twisting what i said into 'their lives dont have any value'. you ought to be ashamed.
what i said was you cannot pad every corner in this world just because it hurt someone. since you 'care' so much, if 3 deaths a year is cause for action, you better get busy. and you can start throwing out just about everything you own.
randy
xrongor wrote:

Life and injury are not meaninless.
I don't know how many people who die each year from skin cancer die because of excessive sun exposure. It is impossible to say. However just as in garage doors it is prudent to take precautions. Look up the word prudent. You will not find your picture next to it.

Your foolish comments could convince someone to disable or ignore the safety devices that can save lives. You are a fool.
If you believe the sensors and the regulations requiring them are not desirable, then I suggest you take your case to the authorities making those decisions.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

joseph you have put words in my mouth for the last time. your head is so far up your ass you're commenting on things i never said. you're making this stuff up as you go along and ive had enough.
randy
xrongor wrote:

You mean words like "30 years, 85 kids. so less than 3 a year. which is virtually zero."
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit