Garage door opener safety lights

Page 4 of 4

so how would you feel about being one of thoe parents?
if your unable to get the lights to work properly get a pro install........
imagine the LIFETIME COSTS of a child with a permanent brain injury:(

The "safety lights" / auto-reverse "electric eyes" that I've dealt with have been very forgiving with respect to alignment.
I just "eye balled" them into alignment until both indicator lights came back on. The methods suggested by others will work...eye balling alignment is quicker & "good enough".
The GDO systems I've worked on have had a red light on each unit....system is aligned correctly when light on each unit illuminates.
On 05/28/2013 09:24 AM, DD_BobK wrote: [snip]

Mine have a red light on one and a green light on the other. If the beam is broken, the red light flashes and the green light stays on.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Just point them directly at each other, this is so simple a 10 year old could do it in 15 seconds.
replying to OMB , DA wrote:

They are nothing precise like laser safety fence or those red laser nets crisscrossing the room in some museum with a precious artifact you'd see in an art heist movie. They use LEDs without any additional collimating optics and best red LEDs have 30 degree aperture (viewing angle or the cone of most intensity of light). At 16' distance that translates into a spot 8.5' in diameter (R = 16' x tan(15) = 4.287' radius). That's a lot of play. As long as you at least just roughly point it towards the other unit, you can't really miss across a two-car-garage-wide opening. In other words, if it doesn't work, it may be because of wiring or other issues, not necessarily alignment.
--
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT

Just point them at each other. You don't have to even be close.