Garage door opener safety lights

Right. I just said it exists. I never said it was sensible or agree with it.

Still dodging the question. Why did you disable your sensors? Any sensible reason for doing so?
--------------------------------- Ed: "Same place mine are. It has been a while and I forget exactly how I bypassed them. I think I duct taped them together. Most of them are a PITA, but "its for the children". -----------------------------------
Let's hear just what is a PITA about them when properly placed.
Harry K

Well Mr Holier than Thou, I have shelving build on both sides of my door with absolutely no place to mount them. My opener is adjusted to the most sensitive setting I can make it and still have the door close. So I have them mounted on the ceiling, because the opener will not work without them. Also, nobody open or closes the door except me. Does that pass your *nanny* test?

no it does not! Adjustements change, and the shelving should be modified to accept the sensors.
if a kid gets hurt or killed your homeowners insurance would be in their rights to not cover you, your reputation in the community can be ruined forever, and you could get sued or perhaps criminally proscuted.
isnt that enough risk to use the designed in safety systems?
In

As someone has already said, " MY House My rules"

What part of *I AM* the only one that opens and closes the door don't you understand?

What makes you think my reputation isn't already ruined? Besides, i could give a flyin f**k what people think, when they start paying my bills I might reconsider my position

and if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their ass when they jump
In

yup, got ahead of meself..............
In

yes sir, I'll work on that, but these little nannies just piss me off!!! they just don't seem to understand how slippery that slope is that they stand on.<boggle> Hell, just ask danny d about slopes<eg>
In

No, because PETA will own it in short order

Thanks for a sensible reason for disabling. That is the first one I have seen in all these years.
Harry K

They are properly placed, out of the way.
If I mounted them as per the instructions, they would be hit all the time by garden tools and snow shovels on one side, Drill press on a stand on the other side.
My garage is detached and I don't put the cars in there. It is not a point of entry/exit for the house. There is some storage, mostly my work shop. There are no little kids for over a quarter mile. There are no little kids in the family.
You may not find this a suitable answer, but it sure works for me. My house, my rules.
I also took the tag off of my mattress!

Odd, there is no way I could put any implement in a position to block the sensor and still let the door close. so, no, that is not only not a sensible reason, it looks like a flat out lie to me.
Harry K

Try reading and comprehending what I wrote. Never said an implement would block the sensor.
I'll type slower this time. I'd hit the sensors frequently moving tools in and out of where they are stored and either break them or knock them out of alignment.

My

the > time by garden tools and snow shovels on one side, Drill press on a > stand on the other side."
Must be a very small drill press if it can be moved to hit the sensor. I call BS.
I have shovels, rakes, mauls etc. stacked right next to one of he sensors on one side. The only time my sensor was knocked out of position was being hit by the snow blower as I drug it past.
Harry K
Harry K

It is a 12" Delta benchtop drill press. It is atop a cabinet I built that has casters on the bottom. It also holds a pancake type compressor and has a drawer for accessories. It is about 24" wide. I think I have a photo of it if you are interested.

See same problem I have Rakes shovels, and used to be the lawnmower in summer snowblower in winter, but they are now in a shed.
At least you finally admit it is possible to hit those sensors and knock them out of alignment.

Once in a blue moon is hardly cause to disable them. I never said it wasn't possible BTW.
Harry K

I use the DP a couple of times a week. Moon is bright, not blue that way.

Try thinking harder about someone else's situation.... Your particular installation & experience may not mirror everyone's. Just because you cannot seen another's POV, believe it or understand it...doesn't make it a lie or BS. :(
I can see it both ways.
I suppose they can be beneficial but ....
The "safety lights" can also be a real PITA. I struggled with a particular installation for quite a while before I figured out the source of any intermittent malfunction. I even toyed with the idea of an "above the door" installation "to solve the problem".
I like to punch & walk but with the safety lights in place I have to punch, walk & "high step"... a bit of a PITA. For what benefit?
Per one source, ~85 children have been killed or suffered permanent brain injury since 1974 from garage doors.

are

 My

I see others points but in Ed's case he is obviously straining to come up with a reason. I couild have accepted it at the first request for a reason but not after repeated requests for a reason and then only when followed by a couple other really straining replies.
As for 'punch and walk', I do idt all the time with no "high step" or other maneuver. I had to make a deliberate attempt to make the system reverse. Sensors are placed in the normal position. I suppose it comes down to where in the exit process the button gets punched. I do it as my leading foot is already out the door.
Harry K

Harry, stop making a fool of yourself. I gave you a citation, but you are too lazy to look it up and download the brochure. I gave the same consistent answer and where to find it. You are straining for justification and would rather disparage someone else than take responsibility to properly follow up. Follow the link, download the manual, find what I referred to.

As do I. That said, the user's manual for the opener says not to do that. You would know that if you followed the link I gave you. There is probably some danger from a "punch and run" but I'll take my chances. I'm usually half out the door when I hit the button.

I gave you the reason I didn't. I clicked on it and saw it was megabites and therefore no go. Diel up does not allow downloading such stuff unless one waits for hours.
I asked for a quote, got nothing, asked for a paraphrase and got nothing.
Finally a few mumbles about the door falling.
Harry K