Garage door opener safety lights

where would you like us to send you your gold star?

Reply to
ChairMan

The plaintiff's attorney will love your decision to duct tape them together. Your insurance company, not so much.

Fred

If my youngest grandchild get hit by the door, they should kick him out of high school. It will also stop if it hits something. I tempt fate most every time I leave the garage also. I push the button on the inside then step out as the door closes. That is a no-no.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Odd, I punch it _as_ I am exiting. Why do you wait until it starts down? Care to give a cite where that action is a "no no"?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

My arm is still inside as I exit. When I do that at work though, I have 20 feet to go from button to door.

Owners manual.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Quote? My owners manual is long gone years ago.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In the manual twice actually

Ed Pawlowski

far better to leave the sensors functional , if a neighbor kid happens to get hurt or killed:(

A touchpad outside takes care of shutting the ndoor and is super convenient, plus they are wireless:)

Reply to
bob haller

HK-

Besides "punch & run" is a practice learned and perfected many years ago by many of us. In some installations, I have to "punch, run & hop" to avoid the safety lights. :( Much less safe for me than "punch & run".

I mount the manual controls high enough to only allow adults to activate them.

Mounting the manual

Reply to
DD_BobK

No good, I'm on dialup and downloading hat would take forever.

So briefly describe what the danger is of punching the button as you exit. I do it all the time also.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

actually

So do I. But just like you should not use a hair dryer outside in the pool, you should not hit the button and walk under the closing door.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'd sue the parents for letting a kid near my garage. Sorry, we have no neighbor kids under 14 anyway.

So is the one inside. I have a keypad outside, but you have to hit a code instead of one button. Both are out of reach for little kids.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

not only can a child die, but the law suits, where homeowners insurance will likely not cover you, if you intentially disabled the safety system, but you could lose all your assets and future earnings, let alone your reputation in your community.....

its far easier and better to use the designed in safety system

Reply to
bob haller

My old door has no lights. Don't all have two safety modes. I'm not going to stick my foot under it, but I know it works on small objects. It will stop and reverse.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Especially since there is no reason not to despite attempts by the irresponsible to drea up reasons.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You still haven't given a reason why. Apparently you have read that source you posted, cut and paste would answer the question.

So again. What danger is there in hitting the button on your way out?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I gave you a link. It did not allow me to copy the section.

Pretty obvious what the danger is. Door coming down, you trip and fall and it hits you.

That is the stuff that keeps lawyers busy writing manuals.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Quite true, IF the down/up pressure is properly adjusted. Properly adjusted, it would be difficult to injure anyone with a closing door unless, perhaps, they were laying on their back with the their neck exposed to the closing door, or maybe had a knife pointed downward so that the closing door would drive it home.

Then again, I can see where that closing door - regardless of the downward pressure could possible scuff up the tops of your shoes. Perhaps that's the real reason the Consumer Products Safety Commission is so involved in this... A government commission seeking to continue its existence by doing something, anything to justify themselves.

Look at the Highway Safety folks. They have us wearing seatbelts and have reduced DUI's tremendously. Great! Now, to justify their continued existence, they think it would be great to ban drivers from even sniffing a cork before getting behind the wheel. Busy work!

If successful, the next thing will be arresting folks for THINKING about having a drink if they are even talking about driving somewhere

My mother and father and long dead; I'm still alive and reasonably successful in life. I don't need a Nanny!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

You'd have to be one hell of some kind of crippled klutz to have the door hit and injure you after you push the button and run out the door. I'll bet a couple of orders of magnitude less probability than getting injured in the bathtub or when going down stairs. Maybe we should stop using those first..

Reply to
trader4

So you can't even paraphrase what that manual says. With one foot outside he door before yiou enven push the button momentum is going to carry you clear. Even a massiver heart attack instantly dead the momentum will have you clear of the door.

Try again.

You still haven't given a sensible answer to why you disable the safety lights. Harry K

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K