Garage door opener safety lights

Page 1 of 4
Not sure what they are called, but I'm talking about the little devices low on the garage door frame that detect when an object such as an animal is under the door.
One of these got knocked out of alignment when something fell against it. So now, the garage door won't close unless I hold the button down while it closes.
I don't know how to align them so they work again. I have not been particularly observant as to whether there is supposed to be a light showing on both of them, or only one. Right now, there is a light only on one side of the door frame.
Anyway, I'd appreciate some advice on how to align these devices. It is a 16 foot opening, so laying a board across from one to the other is pretty much out.
Bob
Add pictures here
✖
On Tuesday, May 28, 2013 4:52:27 AM UTC-4, OMB wrote:

ow

ing

de

I'd try tying a long string around the one which wasn't damaged then take t he loose end over to the damaged one. Lightly pull the string tight enough so that you get a straight line without pulling the undamaged one off the w all. Use that as a guide to align the devices.
A high-tech way to do it would be to use one of those leveler/measurer lase rs, if you have one of those.
Paul
Add pictures here
✖

low

t.

it

owing

e side

is a

ty

the loose end over to the damaged one. Lightly pull the string tight enoug h so that you get a straight line without pulling the undamaged one off the wall. Use that as a guide to align the devices.

sers, if you have one of those.

You can always pull a straight string from one to the other. They only have to be off a few degrees left, right, up, down, etc for the beam to miss. For the string to work, it would have to been perfectly aligned to the light beam or at least the frame of the transmitting unit, which is impossible to do.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/28/2013 3:52 AM, OMB wrote:

There should be an AMBER LED light glowing on the sending unit regardless of alignment.
The GREEN LED light on the receiving unit will only be glowing when the units are in alignment.

If you have the AMBER light showing, go to the other unit and just move it around until the GREEN light comes on. Alignment is NOT that critical. You do not need to use string, a board, laser level or micrometers <g> to adjust this.
Here's a video that will help if you still need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ÙTnY9U9rVU
Note that IF the "something" that fell against it happened to be a kid ramming a bicycle into it, or somebody letting a 12 lb sledgehammer "bump" it, the unit may be broken and need replacement. You cannot align a unit that is toast.
Add pictures here
✖

devices

against

down

only

the

It is

move

I agree WITH puzzled2. You do not need TO use string or a board.
Add pictures here
✖
Bob,
YouTube has many videos of this alignment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHIytLm0iAU

Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖

atch?v=gHIytLm0iAU

Seems one of those things that are a response to an uneeded problem.
I knocked mine out of alignment once and realigned it without needing any "how-to" u-tubes, etc. Only took a few seconds.
Mostly just common sense.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
Harry,
In light of OMB's question, why do you believe that this is unneeded?
Dave M.
Add pictures here
✖
OMB wrote:

I put mine on the ceiling, next to the opener and about one foot apart. Real easy to get them aligned.
Of course they don't serve their original function, but who cares?
Add pictures here
✖

thats exactly what i did, works like a champ
Add pictures here
✖

I suppose you remove all belts, padding and airbags in your cars too.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
In wrote:

how did you know?
Add pictures here
✖

Same place mine are. It has been a while and I forget exactly how I bypassed them. I think I duct taped them together. Most of them are a PITA, but "its for the children".
Add pictures here
✖

Real

I've had mine for over 20 years with the sensors properly installed. Instances of the door not closing as I wanted it? None.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

where would you like us to send you your gold star?
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Hi, When my kids were small I had them maintained. I have an IR sensor card which made the alignment of beam a snap but kids all grown up and left their nest. I permanently bypassed them.
Add pictures here
✖
On 5/28/2013 10:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The plaintiff's attorney will love your decision to duct tape them together. Your insurance company, not so much.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/04/05/young-child-crushed-to-death-by-garage-door-in-waldorf/
Add pictures here
✖

If my youngest grandchild get hit by the door, they should kick him out of high school. It will also stop if it hits something. I tempt fate most every time I leave the garage also. I push the button on the inside then step out as the door closes. That is a no-no.
Add pictures here
✖

her.

Odd, I punch it _as_ I am exiting. Why do you wait until it starts down? Care to give a cite where that action is a "no no"?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

My arm is still inside as I exit. When I do that at work though, I have 20 feet to go from button to door.

Owners manual.
Add pictures here
✖