Garage door opener repair attempt.

A 1/2HP Fimbel Garage door opener. I open the garage door, drove out, tried to close. It did not. Sudden failure, then. Got much closer. I can hear the motor "humming" no movement. Disconnected electrical power, disconnected the belt. The motor is free. The chain is not jammed. I can move by hand. Reconnected - the motors turns. Too low torque?
I can stop the motor shaft by hand (glove, of course) Any idea how to proceed?
Thanks & happy new year
UziB
1/1/04
First use the disconnect and try the door without the opener and see if the door is the problem.

free.
Thanks, As I indicated: "The chain is not jammed. I can move by hand" The motor has very low torque, capable of moving itself only when there is no load.

Bad run capacitor/motor winding.

Thanks but I'm not sure I understand. Could you kindly elaborate? UziB

Hi, Or centrifugal relay. Motor has to switch from start mode to run. Then you should smell/feel overheating coil. Tony
C.J. wrote:

But can the door move easily by hand and remain up and down without any assistance after it is disconnected from the opener, including the chain.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Thanks. The door has been disconnected and it does move freely. Even then the motor can move the chain. I can move the chain by turning the driving wheel. Only when I remove then belt - the motor turns. Its torque seems to be low - I can stop it by (gloved) hand. UziB

1) Check incoming power w/ volt meter to make sure the opener is getting the full proper voltage 2) W/ belt off & motor humming spin motor shaft by hand (be very careful where you place fingers so that they can't get caught in moving parts & proceed at own risk). If motor comes up to full speed the motor capacitor is probably bad. 3) If it's not step 1 or 2 there is probably a loose wire or burnt relay contacts that will not allow the opener motor to get enough voltage to run at full speed.
Doordoc www.DoorsAndOpeners.com
Thanks for the clear, step by step instructions.
The capacitor seems to be shorted across.
Where one bys such capacitor?
UziB