Garage Door Opener problem

This is a Craftsman unit, about 12 years old. It uses the chain, but has worked fine.

Today, the door would not go up and down. The unit buzzes (loud) like the motor is trying to run, but the chain does not move. Can unhook the door from the chain, and run it up and down manually, but the drive motor seems to be buzzing and not functioning properly.

Is the a home repair, or more likely a worn out unit needing replacing ?

Thanks

James

Reply to
James

check to see if the chain has jumped off the drive sprocket & has jammed the unit

next remove the chain from the drive sprocket & see if the unit cycles w/o load

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Look for red reset button. Might be bad run capacitor for motor. Motor and chain may very well be dried out. So many options.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

thanks for replies. Have checked for chain jumping off sprocket, but it has not done so.

Will look for reset button asap. Will also try the test with chain off sprocket.

Thanks again !!

James

Reply to
James

See if the drive shaft is spinning in the sprocket.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

This model may have nylon gears - and they often get stripped. A new set of gears is cheap and easy for the homeowner to replace.

Reply to
HeyBub

Crapsman? Probably best to replace, they are not expensive. I'd guess (just a guess) the motor bearings are 'frozen'.

Reply to
PeterD

This is very likely to be the correct answer. Many of these have a nylon gear set that slowly wears away. Looks like this;

jamesgangnc

Made by Mattel, they are swell.

Reply to
Hipupchuck

Totally off the mechanical subject, but wanted to add that my unit stopped working and didn't respond to the remotes or hardwired pushbutton. This one is similar to the Craftsman but sold under a different name.

I pulled the electronics out and on the PCB found FOUR cold solder joints (and a couple more that i didn't quite like the looks of.) Resoldered all the joints and it works like a charm.

Reply to
Sooperdave

Most of the problems I come across when repairing electronic equipment has to do with cold solder joints. It's amazing how much good stuff people discard in the trash that has little or nothing wrong with it. I've see many expensive control circuit boards thrown away that had a simple to repair bad connection.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

thanks everyone for the good comments and advice !!

James

Reply to
James

I had exactly the same problem with one of mine too... A bunch of bad solder joints that made the thing fail after a few months in service. Again, that is what comes from buying the cheapest imported crap from China that there is. Next time, I'll look for American made--could not find any last time, but maybe next time someone will have started making a quality unit here.

Reply to
PeterD

If it's humming as opposed to making mechanical grinding sounds I'd guess maybe the motor capacitor.

We have a Craftsman still in service after 33 years and the only thing it ever needed was (many years ago) a new capacitor, a new belt (maybe 5 years ago), and a repair to the thermal delay for the light bulb (a few months ago. I was able to solder the tiny wire where it had broken).

Reply to
Steve Kraus

So, what did you find? Please tell us what was the problem, and how did you fix it?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The problem was the plastic gear in the motor control unit. It had worn out completely. Replaced, and the door works great !!

Thanks for all the replies !!

James

Reply to
James

Heybub is the winner...to the point and nearly precise! I am a mechanic (almost) and this is NOT the easiest job. I think the gear set was 20 or $25. And Sears' openers are Chamberlain...and NOT a crappy opener!

Reply to
pheeh.zero

Make sure you got all the grease that came with the kit into the gearset. Without that grease they are about a 6 month item - with the grease, 12 -15 years or more.

Reply to
clare