Garage door opener opens partially

This is a Stanley garage door opener chain drive style, 0.5 horsepower.
The problem is when I try to open it, either from the remote or wall unit, it travels open for 1-2 feet and stops, and start ticking (with Di-Da-Di-Da sound in one seconds interval). This is the same with or without the door engaged (so the door balance is not an issue here).
The load is probably not a issue either as the same problem is observed when I disengaged the drive chain.
Full close is not a problem.
I called the tech support at (former) Stanley and he told me the broken gears may be at fault. I opened the gears box and carefully examed the gears. They apprantly are in good condition.
Can someone shed a light on this myth? Or maybe the setup is not correct? I don't have the manual since it is inherit from the previous owner.
Springs are in good shape? I've never had problem with an opener just broken springs.
Spring is in good shape. Actually I dis-engaged the door when trying.
Is the rail in a straight line. Is the door binding in the track because the rail is running off at a angle? Is this a new install or an existing one that worked fine for a few years? I have the same problem except on a Sears that binds when closing because I knocked it out of alignment and the wheels are getting old and worn.
--
On My Way
Thank you for all the reply so far.

Winston wrote:

I guess you'll have to trouble-shoot with door disengaged from opener. Gotta find out why door won't open or close all the way freely. Is the tension on the chain not too loose? Tony