Garage door opener oddity

Crafstman garage door opener with wall switch and two remotes. I called Sears and talked to a tech who had never heard of this particular problem... maybe someone here has experienced this.
The unit operates fine from the wall switch, but suddenly, the remotes don't work. Nothing has been altered and remote batteries were checked. The little light in the wall switch up/down touch pad is blinking, whether the door is up or down, which isn't right, but why?
TIA

It sounds like you may have locked it. If you have a lock button on the wall switch, try pressing it and see if the light quits blinking.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired

Jim, that's what came to mind as I hit send. I'm 90 miles from the unit, but I'll make a call and see if this is the answer.
Thanks

I just tried it on mine and you're right.

This is at my folks' house. My aging dad is a pretty good electrician, but unable to solve this, so far. He tried the lock switch and nothing changes. He even took it apart to inspect (there isn't much there), and didn't find a problem. Rats!
I'll be there in a couple of days to give it a go and report back.
Thank you.
uncle K wrote:

My doors have a momentary contact push button. A wall switch would make contact all the time probably shorting the circuit and preventing the remotes from working.

I believe we are talking about the same switch. The reference to "wall" switch meaning hard wired as opposed to a remote.

Surprising that no one has mentioned the hopefully obvious cause ! The door electronic -eye sensors will cause this problem if they have been "knocked" ever so slightly out of line. The beam not lining up will not allow the remote openers to work and show a malfunction to the control board! The wall button is hard wired to the opener and may by- pass the sensor system . My best guess would be to check the sensor alignment.
HTH
Bill in Plano
Bill Hall wrote:

My door will open no matter what the sensors are sensing, or not sensing. They do however need to be working for the door to close.

Exactly how mine works. I've never seen a door opener where the wall button can bypass the safety sensors.
Since he's ruled out the lockout button, my guess would be that the remotes are out of synch with the door opener. The new ones use a pseudo random code sequence instead of a fixed code that could be capturerd, duplicated, etc. Bascily the door opener and the remotes start out on a particular random number sequence of millions of opening codes and follow it. Each time the remote is used, they go on to the next code. If for some reason they happen to get out of synch, there is a procedure in the manual that describes how they can be resynched. Essentially it's pushing some buttons on the door unit while working the remotes.

    You might try a re-boot. Disconnect all power to the unit for a couple of hours and see if it might come back up.
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:22:59 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

You got me curious, now. Any link for a "re-boot" of a garage door opener?
Around here we plug them in and they magically work. No waiting "a couple of hours".
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:36:57 -0700, against all advice, something

I have a Genie that refuses to work every once in a while. I think it has a security feature that is either a little too aggressive, or poorly understood by me. I just shut off the breaker for thirty seconds and then turn it back on. It works as expected after that.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.