Garage Door Opener needs to be 'rebooted'

My wife and I just bought our first townhouse. We had the home inspector come out and check it out before closing. At that point, the garage door opener worked OK, both from inside pressing the wall-mounted button as well as using the remote control. Now that we own it, it seems that neither the button nor the remote control work unless you unplug and then re-plug the garage door opener, then it works for about 10 or 15 minutes. The house is about 16 years old, and everything else is original, so if the GDO is not original, it definitely has been around awile. Any thoughts on what could be the problem, if it's worth attempting to fix it or just buy a new one? Thanks very much. Scott

Reply to
noops

"before you go for the circuit board,make sure the laser safety device at the bottom of each side are sighted and not blocked

Reply to
twiedeman

How many times are you running it in a row? You state that it works for 10 to 15 minutes which sounds like you are running it more than once. Residential garage door openers are not made for high cycle operation & have a built-in thermal overload that will automatically shut the opener off when it gets to hot to keep the motor from burning up. Most garage door openers are normally used only a few times a day spread out over many hours. Post back if this is not the case w/ your problem.

Doordoc

Doordoc

Reply to
Doordoc

I had the same problem with a brand new Craftsman opener and the circuit board had to be replaced ( The Sears repairman came out and took care of it at no charge ). You don't mention the brand of your opener, but odds are you could change the circuit board yourself if you can find a source for parts.

Reply to
Tim

Who is the manufactuer of your garaghe door opener?

Boden

no> My wife and I just bought our first townhouse. We had the home

Reply to
EL