Garage door opener light stays on

It's a Stanley Premier Model 3100.14, ancient, but works fine, except the light occasionally does not turn off after an opening or closing cycle. Any guesses as to what is failing? If I can fix it with a soldering iron, I will. Liz
Liz MacDonald wrote:

Liz, first guess would be it's the relay sticking 'cause if it were the timer would more likely not still work on occasion. Also have an ancient Stanley, don't have a clue from just the model number how close it might be (and has also been a while since I had the case open), but iirc, there are three(?) relays on the board, one of which controls the light(s). Might check sometime when it's stuck "on" to see if a light tap on that relay turns it off. Replacing the relay would likely fix it if so. The wiring is easily accessible on mine anyway to trace which is the proper relay. I actually don't know offhand whether the timer circuit is something like a 555 or part of the processor, I've never had need to investigate.
Of course, the opposite way to "fix it" is to simply take the bulb out and forego the light (if you have other light or the time-delay off on the car, anyway). :)
HTH...

If it's got a relay, it may be sticking. I suppose you could remove the plastic cap on the relay to get to the points, and clean them with contact cleaner.
Liz MacDonald wrote:

Or, you could replace the bulb with a 6-watt florescent. Even if it stayed on 24/7, it would only cost two cents a day.
I just came back to say thanks for your responses. Now I'm waiting for it to stay on again. Liz
Liz MacDonald wrote:

Secret from the Guy's Black Book of Repairs: Sometimes things get fixed when you yell at them so loud that it hurts your ears. Strange, but true.