Garage door opener help

Page 1 of 3
In April or May we had a new garage door opener installed. Our garage is tiny. Can't park a car in it so how it is called a garage, I do not know. New unit is a Chamberlin and from what I can see on line, the cheapest one. Came with one Clicker. Purchased two additional Clickers and a keypad.
So for about three weeks, we had assorted problems, mainly because the installer was, IMO a buffoon. But finally another guy came out to put things right and everything seemed fine until two days ago.
Daughter rang the doorbell. I then asked her why she didn't come in through the garage and her answer was that the keypad didn't work. And it didn't. Keys lit up but nothing happened when we put in the code.
I did change the battery but wasn't sure of its age. Still didn't work. Bought new battery and put it in. Still didn't work. Now this isn't the code but I will use it for the sake of this problem. Let's say that our code was 12345.
Installer snapped the battery in more firmly. Still didn't work. Asked me if I had a phone. Obviously I did as he had called me on it. He had a phone in his hand. But I went into the house to get the phone. Why? Still don't know. He never asked to use it. But...
When I got back with the phone, he told me that he had reprogrammed the unit. Not sure how since he had no ladder or step stool and I had only been gone for less than a minute. Maybe 20 seconds. Then he said that we needed to put in 123455. Say what? How could 12345 have worked all this time? And we did not have to press the # either. Just the numbers, although my instructions say to press the # button.
Oh and... While I was waiting for him to come, I tried to put in the code. And repeatedly, as I put in 1 and 2, the door began to come down. Came down one section, stopped and then went back up. It did this several times. And then it did nothing when I tried to put in the code.
When I told my daughter of this she insisted that it can not be right. She is the one who usually uses the keypad and she knows what number she has put in. She has used 12345 for at least 4 months and it worked!
So then I went out to try it. Tried 123455 three times and nothing. Then waited about 10 minutes and tried it again. It worked! And it worked repeatedly.
I feel like I am in crazy land. How could this have been? I am waiting for the installer to call me back and I will go out and keep trying it to see what happens.
Julie,
Manufacturer? Model number?
Dave M.

It's a Chamberlain and from what I can tell, the cheapest. I have no way to get up there and see what model number it is. I wouldn't think that would matter. The wireless key pad is what is the problem. I think...
Julie Bove wrote:

Hi, Is the keypad on wireless? Usually they are programmed from KP and there is procedure in the owner's manual. Isn't it on warranty? Call Chamberlain customer support is one way to solve the problem. I am Genie screw drive fan all my adult life. I install and take care of it myself. Not only that I can replace springs, cable, what not on GDO. And higher priced unit already includes extra clicker and KP, etc. At the end there may not be enough difference in price. If they did not give you owner's manual, I am sure it is available on-line and Youtube is a firend in this case for visual tutorial. Ah, also make sure the antenna wire is in place well.

It is wireless and they left me no owner's manual. I don't know if there is a warranty on it. At the time it was installed I had just gotten out of the hospital after nearly dying and I was in no condition to be dealing with any of this.
We had a Genie prior and I assumed that would be what was put in. The guy did check the antennae wire.
But my question would be... Why would the wrong pass code have worked for all this time? This is what makes no sense. And why when I put in two digits of it would it have started to close.
I did have to contact Chamberlain for something else. It was a royal PITA to get to the right person.
Julie Bove wrote:

Hi, You can enter whatever code you want according to the procedure. If it does not work KP or receiver module in the opener is bad I would imagine. In case of my Genie GDO, I program the KP and at the end right away I push a button on the GDO(Need a step ladder to reach) then light blinks acknowledging the program is complete. Chamberlain may be little different.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi, I tried youtube. Search "How to program Chamberlain GDO Keypad" Many came up.

Thanks.

If it involves getting up to the unit, forget it. I'm disabled and I can't get up there.

then why are you asking for help?

general experience has demonstrated she never gets the owners manual and just won't call up any company to get service from them
I am Genie

On Friday, September 19, 2014 12:06:48 AM UTC-4, Malcom Mal Reynolds wrote:

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help, doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

As I said... I already called them once. They sent me two new Clickers so I could take the clips off of them. I don't think the make and model are even necessary to know. The item in question is not the garage door opener itself but the item called the Clicker. It is the wireless keypad. This is it right here. You can see the model number there.
http://www.chamberlain.com/clicker-and-accessories/universal-clicker-products/clicker-universal-wireless-keyless-entry-system
Julie Bove wrote:

Hmmm, I think every thing you touch go bad instantly or you have very low IQ, or it is your hobby and enjoyment wasting lot of our time. When I see your name poips up from now on I will stay away as far as I can. Really there are full of people of many different kind in this world. You don't have a man folk in your family? what are they doing? You only get incompetent bums for service too? How come? Jesus Christ!!

this is why your water heater doesn't work

oh, that's an easy one: the neighbor will be too old and not have a camera and she won't let the daughter do it because it's too dangerous
a bigger question is if the "garage" is too small for a car, why not build a wall and use a regular door, and why does the daughter enter the house thru the garage?

You guys are new to this one. She has been pulling these stunts for years on other newsgroups. Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

I'm not pulling anything. All of the ranch style houses have the little garage. I don't know why it is that way except that they have the water heater out there. This used to be a very small 2 bedroom house. It has a small shed built in on the outside of the garage so why the garage is on there is beyond me. Had I built the house, I would have made a much larger kitchen with a pantry. The garage is what I wound up using as a pantry because there isn't enough space in the kitchen for much food.
This house and many others that used to be like it have been remodeled. This house is now 1700 sq. feet with three bedrooms and two full baths.
On Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:48:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"

Mine quit about 2 days after the warranty ran out. It was NOT a wireless one..

I didn't know that they made them that were not wireless. Hmmm... At any rate I know know that this model isn't a very good one. At least not according to online reviews.