Garage door opener help

In April or May we had a new garage door opener installed. Our garage is tiny. Can't park a car in it so how it is called a garage, I do not know. New unit is a Chamberlin and from what I can see on line, the cheapest one. Came with one Clicker. Purchased two additional Clickers and a keypad.

So for about three weeks, we had assorted problems, mainly because the installer was, IMO a buffoon. But finally another guy came out to put things right and everything seemed fine until two days ago.

Daughter rang the doorbell. I then asked her why she didn't come in through the garage and her answer was that the keypad didn't work. And it didn't. Keys lit up but nothing happened when we put in the code.

I did change the battery but wasn't sure of its age. Still didn't work. Bought new battery and put it in. Still didn't work. Now this isn't the code but I will use it for the sake of this problem. Let's say that our code was 12345.

Installer snapped the battery in more firmly. Still didn't work. Asked me if I had a phone. Obviously I did as he had called me on it. He had a phone in his hand. But I went into the house to get the phone. Why? Still don't know. He never asked to use it. But...

When I got back with the phone, he told me that he had reprogrammed the unit. Not sure how since he had no ladder or step stool and I had only been gone for less than a minute. Maybe 20 seconds. Then he said that we needed to put in 123455. Say what? How could 12345 have worked all this time? And we did not have to press the # either. Just the numbers, although my instructions say to press the # button.

Oh and... While I was waiting for him to come, I tried to put in the code. And repeatedly, as I put in 1 and 2, the door began to come down. Came down one section, stopped and then went back up. It did this several times. And then it did nothing when I tried to put in the code.

When I told my daughter of this she insisted that it can not be right. She is the one who usually uses the keypad and she knows what number she has put in. She has used 12345 for at least 4 months and it worked!

So then I went out to try it. Tried 123455 three times and nothing. Then waited about 10 minutes and tried it again. It worked! And it worked repeatedly.

I feel like I am in crazy land. How could this have been? I am waiting for the installer to call me back and I will go out and keep trying it to see what happens.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Julie,

Manufacturer? Model number?

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Hi, Is the keypad on wireless? Usually they are programmed from KP and there is procedure in the owner's manual. Isn't it on warranty? Call Chamberlain customer support is one way to solve the problem. I am Genie screw drive fan all my adult life. I install and take care of it myself. Not only that I can replace springs, cable, what not on GDO. And higher priced unit already includes extra clicker and KP, etc. At the end there may not be enough difference in price. If they did not give you owner's manual, I am sure it is available on-line and Youtube is a firend in this case for visual tutorial. Ah, also make sure the antenna wire is in place well.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's a Chamberlain and from what I can tell, the cheapest. I have no way to get up there and see what model number it is. I wouldn't think that would matter. The wireless key pad is what is the problem. I think...

Reply to
Julie Bove

It is wireless and they left me no owner's manual. I don't know if there is a warranty on it. At the time it was installed I had just gotten out of the hospital after nearly dying and I was in no condition to be dealing with any of this.

We had a Genie prior and I assumed that would be what was put in. The guy did check the antennae wire.

But my question would be... Why would the wrong pass code have worked for all this time? This is what makes no sense. And why when I put in two digits of it would it have started to close.

I did have to contact Chamberlain for something else. It was a royal PITA to get to the right person.

Reply to
Julie Bove

then why are you asking for help?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

general experience has demonstrated she never gets the owners manual and just won't call up any company to get service from them

I am Genie

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

this is why your water heater doesn't work

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Hi, You can enter whatever code you want according to the procedure. If it does not work KP or receiver module in the opener is bad I would imagine. In case of my Genie GDO, I program the KP and at the end right away I push a button on the GDO(Need a step ladder to reach) then light blinks acknowledging the program is complete. Chamberlain may be little different.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I tried youtube. Search "How to program Chamberlain GDO Keypad" Many came up.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If it involves getting up to the unit, forget it. I'm disabled and I can't get up there.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Thanks.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I agree, there does seem to be a common theme here. She doesn't tell us the make/model, won't call manufacturer's customer service help, doesn't have the manual, gets things installed assuming they will put in a Chamberlain because that's what was there before, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

oh, that's an easy one: the neighbor will be too old and not have a camera and she won't let the daughter do it because it's too dangerous

a bigger question is if the "garage" is too small for a car, why not build a wall and use a regular door, and why does the daughter enter the house thru the garage?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

You guys are new to this one. She has been pulling these stunts for years on other newsgroups. Don't ask her about what her family likes to eat!

Reply to
Pico Rico

Mine quit about 2 days after the warranty ran out. It was NOT a wireless one..

Reply to
clare

It wasn't properly programmed. The seller SHOULD have provided you with the manual with progctions. Some have an "abreviated" closing mode where you only need to touch one or 2 buttons to close. I believe it was a feature on a very few keypads. Your dealer/installer SHOULD have explained it to you.

Reply to
clare

Lots of older "garages" are too small for a car, but the garage door makes it easy to get the bikes, snowblower, lawnmower, and garbage cans in and out. As for the daughter -- mabee she can't be trusted not to lose the key????

Reply to
clare

he did. You just don't know this OP.

Reply to