Garage door opener drive systems

What are the pros and cons to the different drive system. The three I know of are chain, belt and screw drive. One site I saw said 70% of systems in use are chain drive, any reason for that?

Reply to
habbi

Chain seems to work well and is often cheaper, all else being about equal. Screw seems to have the edge in durability and belt is quieter. Today there are new drives out that have other attributes and some models of one time are enough better that they out perform lesser models of a type that in general would not be as good in a given area.

I like the screw drive and with the new quieter faster versions, I rate it as top, also some of the most expensive.

Take a look at the Dwane Walton units for something different.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan