Garage Door opener - diminished range

Since a few days ago our garage door opener will only function if we pull right up to the door and press the button. Previously, with each of our 2 remotes, we could press the button out at the end of the driveway (75') and it would work.

I suspected week batteries and replaced them in each of the remotes but still we have to be right up next to the door before it will get the signal and open. The antenna appears to be ok on the opener.

Any ideas what could have caused this sudden problem?

The door opener is a Craftsman 1/2 HP circa 2002 or 2003.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Reply to
oo Mike oo

use only alkaline batteries............ BRAND NEW

regular carbon zinc cant meet the demands

check the antenna on the opener likely a small wire haning out in space from the opener

any chance you recently added a fluroscent lamp, espically the compact type? they can interfer with openers......

Reply to
hallerb

Either your transmitter is weak, the receiver is insensitive, or there is interference.

If multiple remotes all work poorly, then it is probably a bad receiver. Have another look at the antenna. RTFM and see if you can just replace the electronics board.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Hi, Re: Battery, It should be the other way around. Or cold weather drifted the receiver frequency if it is not PLL type?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yep, new batteries.

Will check the continuity of the antenna, perhaps vibration has compromised the wire where it exits the housing?

No new fluorescent lamps.

Thanks for the input. Mike

Reply to
oo Mike oo

Thanks, will look at the antenna again and check for continuity -- then change out the logic board if that doesn't work.

Mike

Reply to
oo Mike oo

If all of the transmitters started working the same at the same time, its a pretty good bet that you can rule out the problem is w/ the batteries or anything else in the transmitters.

Another possibility is that you may be getting interference from something inside the house or an outside source & if so changing the board may not help at all. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to buy a new board & hope it works or take the motor head down & take it & the remotes to another location & test them.

If the antenna wire is hanging down properly, my first guess would be is that its interference & changing the board isn't going to do anything except that you will have a new board that doesn't have any range either. While it may be possible the board is bad, in most cases when they go bad the transmitters don't work at all.

DoorDoc www.DoorsAnd> >

Reply to
doordoc

[...]

Tried a new receiver board and new remote controls with no improvement. I guess RTFM didn't help much did it? DW.

That seems to leave some sort of interference.

Reply to
oo Mike oo

Are you absolutely 100% positive sure you have your transmitters synched to the receiver? There's a 'training' procedure. Otherwise there's no for the receiver to know the difference between your transmitters and your neighbors.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Please don't assume that I'm a complete f****ng idiot, yes I have the transmitter trained.

Reply to
oo Mike oo

Mike, quick fix. Solder a low-voltage wire to the antenna wire long enough to extend to the front of the garage and slip it behind the top stop moulding and the header jamb so it hangs about 4" into the center of the opening.

Rich

Reply to
Rich