Garage Door Opener: Chain vs. Belt?

Any opinions on which is better, a chain or belt driven garage door opener? I understand the belt driven are quieter, but are they better? Thanks!

Reply to
Sue

Intuitively, a chain will last longer than a belt. My chain unit is

16 years old and has never been serviced. My son's belt unit is 1 1/2 years old and also has never been serviced. Obviously, this tells you nothing WRT relative durability. I'll let you know when his fails.

WRT noise, however, the difference is dramatic. The belt is MUCH quieter.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

I have used screw drives. They are quieter than chains and generally don't require adjustments.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I suppose you could ask the harley davidson people which is better. A chain or a belt. If they can stand up to 100+ HP, i'd rekon they can lift a garage door for many years.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

I think it was "Steve Barker LT" who stated:

I think you're a little confused here. 100+ HP Harley Davidson??

Heh, heh, heh . . . .

Chains are ALWAYS preferred on high-performance motorcycles. With good reason; to handle 100+ HP, a belt would need to be WIDE.

-Don (riding a shaft-drive BMW)

Reply to
Don Fearn

I agree. My two chain drive units have lasted 20 years. I've never had to adjust the chain tension, but I can see that I'm going to have to. The screw drive seems like a better idea.

Reply to
Stubby

Also consider a timing chain vs belt in a typical car engine. A belt needs to be replaced at some prescribed interval, per the manufacturer. A chain is generally expected to last the life of the engine.

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

I think it was Mike Hartigan who stated:

BUT, those are both HIGH stress applications; especially the car engine, where the heat cycles are tremendous (from many degrees below zero to a couple of hundred degrees above zero here in Minnesota during some parts of the year that will be coming soon). I should think that a belt that would last 60,000 miles in a car would last hundreds of thousands of cycles in a garage door opener. If it were engineered correctly.

-Don (seeing both sides of the issue)

Reply to
Don Fearn

belt drive much quieter, main advantage is never need to lube belt, with chain or screw drive oil lube can get on vehicles.

belt drive is higher end unit, higher cost probably means slightly better parts.

in any case openers last a long time and tend to work well. new ones have superior safety features too...

Reply to
hallerb

I have 5 double and one single garage doors and in the process of converting all to belt drives. I had chain drives before and was just a constant PIA for adjustment - never again. The screw drives were pretty good and reliable. My first belt drive lasted about 15 years (broken belt) but my new belt drives have a life time warranty on the belts. I have a belt drive with battery backup in case of a power outage. Yes, its too quiet. My 1/2hp screw seems to be a little stronger than my 1/2hp belt drive but if you have a balanced door it doesn't matter too much. Belt drive usually mean top-of-the-line and with that there are more options (bells and whistles) in flexibility, controls and security. Chain drive is at the low end.

Reply to
# Fred #

Belt drive garage door openers are quieter but not any more reliable than their chain drive counterparts. But quieter is better in my book. Rich

Rich

Reply to
Art Todesco

who sells direct drive units? it might solve my clearance issues that have prevented me from installing a opener in this garage.

Reply to
hallerb

Although I have never had a belt drive I imagine the tension would be greater on a belt drive, therefore stick with the chain. The bearings that support the tension will last longer.

Reply to
tnom

I have seen them at the local Menards (Chicago suburbs). I think, but not completely sure, I've seen them at HD.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Steve Barker LT

belt not really tight, had a belt drive at another home

Reply to
hallerb